Intentional Data Interruptions
OrbitStorm

Is it standard practice for Verizon to deliberately limit customers' service based on their capability to pay their bill by the due date? 

I understand that it is a customer's responsibility to pay their bill on time, but Verizon needs understand that the Holiday Season is here, and with the obvious issue with unemployment across the nation, some of its customers may fall victim to unemployment, layoffs, fluctuating hours, etc.

I've been behind on my bill, 3 times in the last 4 months. My connection runs smoothly, until the morning after my bill's due date. I could understand if I had fallen behind by several months (which at that point, non-basic services would be disabled anyway), but why belligerently harass a customer's connection over a few days, WITH a payment arrangement previously established?

I only wish, that Century Link could provide service in more of central PA. How is that relevant, you ask? It's relevant because Century Link provides better customer service, better packages, and far better quality of service, than Verizon does, ten fold. 

0 Likes
Re: Intentional Data Interruptions
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

@OrbitStorm wrote:

Is it standard practice for Verizon to deliberately limit customers' service based on their capability to pay their bill by the due date? 

I understand that it is a customer's responsibility to pay their bill on time, but Verizon needs understand that the Holiday Season is here, and with the obvious issue with unemployment across the nation, some of its customers may fall victim to unemployment, layoffs, fluctuating hours, etc.

I've been behind on my bill, 3 times in the last 4 months. My connection runs smoothly, until the morning after my bill's due date. I could understand if I had fallen behind by several months (which at that point, non-basic services would be disabled anyway), but why belligerently harass a customer's connection over a few days, WITH a payment arrangement previously established?

I only wish, that Century Link could provide service in more of central PA. How is that relevant, you ask? It's relevant because Century Link provides better customer service, better packages, and far better quality of service, than Verizon does, ten fold. 

Sorry to hear about the rough patch -- we've all been through the ringer recently (no pun intended).

Given that, I believe it is standard practice for all companies that provide a service to 'limit service' based on ability to pay (nonpayment).

In Verizon's case, I've known a few older folks that sometimes forgot to pay a bill.  Verizon has never done a temporary disconnect on their accounts if they are a day or six late.  I'm sure that if they were a day or six + a month, the tale would be different.

I'd suggest calling billing and making a payment arrangement.  That should get your service restored, and offer you an option to pay-down your balance according to a reasonable schedule.  In addition to that, you might look at reducing your level of service.  Consider if you need unlimited national long distance or regional toll.  Some folks elect to use a calling card for their long distance, as they find the tradeoff between quality and cost to be reasonable.

I hope everything gets sorted out.

0 Likes
Re: Intentional Data Interruptions
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have personally seen Verizon bills go for months at a time without getting paid and for services to still be working. I don't know how long Verizon ususally goes, but those issues are typically due to auto payment issues with an account. if it's being disconnected due to the slightly late payment, that sounds odd as you can usually go a few days from time to time if you are on good standing with paying bills to the company.

0 Likes