Intermittent Connection Issue with High Speed Internet Service
skn28

I am very frustrated with my Verizon DSL intermittent connection issue. I have a Westell 7500 modem. I called Verizon serveral times (approx 10-15 times) in last month and spent more than 1 hour every time but issue still remains the same. If I power down the modem and restart it I get the connection back - for a while, and then I must repeat the process.  Verizon also sent me a new modem my second Westell 7500 but the the problem still remains the same. I have had to restart my modem 4 times or more in a day. All the time, internet light goes out but DSL and other lights stays green. Please resolve this issue as soon as possible. I have filters on all my phone equipment except the modem. Verizon is unable to resolve this issue so far. It seems like if they are unable to resolve this issue quickly, I will have to switch my service and move on to other carrier.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Connection Issue with High Speed Internet Service
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the key to fixing your problem with be your tranceiver stats,  keep an eye on those stats when your system is working well and record those in a notepad or word document and then also do the same thing when it is struggling or having problems.

You can do that now and give us the stats so we can tell you what they mean and what to be worried about

http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm

skn28

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here are the stats. I will appreciate your help in this regard. I am very much frustrated with internet light off issue.

Transceiver Statistics

(When Internet light on and working) 

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864 Margin (dB) 19.9 15.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 38.0 20.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 13.6 11.9

Transceiver Statistics

(When Internet light off) - Ist instance

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864 Margin (dB) -1.-8 15.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 38.0 20.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 13.6 11.9

Transceiver Statistics

(When Internet light off) - 2nd Instance

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1952 128 Margin (dB) 7.0 7.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 63.0 31.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 16.0 11.4

0 Likes
AttillaTheHunt

I have the same router model and have nothing but trouble with it since the middle of January. Back then it kept dropping my PPP connect then the problem "disappeared" over a weekend and was fine until last night. NOW, I have completely lost my internet connection and my patience. Switching over to Atlantic Broadband on the 16th for phone and internet. Never had these kind of problems with AB. I might have had 12 hours of downtime with them in two years of service. I've had as much downtime in the past 24 hours with Verizon. Hasta la vista Verizon.

0 Likes
gretchin22

I'm having the same problem. I'm. I'm getting really aggravated . They haven't been able to help me at all . they keep pushing me off to someone else. I have been on live chat and on the phone with them for countless hours. i have the same model too. 7500.. They said they were out and resolved it.. Not so. I'm still getting disconnected. Was just on live chat again and they told me to call tech support AGAIN!. I guess I'll be on the phone for another hour or so. . I call them they transfer me and i get disconnected. There has to be an easier way.

0 Likes
AttillaTheHunt

There is! It's called your local cable company. My local cable co has a broadband phone/internet package for $60. I'll recoup my early termination/extortion fee in 6 months time with the monthly savings I'll realize from switching and my connection speed will increase by 5x. The Westell DSL routers are dogs and have a long history of trouble tickets. Don't be surprised if they temporarily "fix" the problem then lose your internet connection completely in about 3-4 weeks.

0 Likes
skn28

Can somebody please review and let me know what does these trnsreceiver stat means and how to fix the problem? I will really appreciate any help you can provide in this regard. Thanks

0 Likes
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two weeks ago I had a problem, my speed was erratic to say the best, anywhere from 20 kb/sec up to maybe 500, not the 1.5 meg I pay for.  Pinging the first router past the CO got me a 25% packet loss, so I knew what was happening.  I swapped out the modem with a spare, tried all three of my PCs with and without the router connected, took the modem out of bridge mode and looked at the stats, all were good.  I knew it was a waste of time, but I had no choice so I called the script reader in Pakistan.  He claimed to have run a test and everything was fine, so the problem had to be in my PC.  That is the standard first answer you get from them, so I expected that.  Then I went to live chat, that tech told me there was a problem on my line and I should call the 800 number to get a ticket opened.  I did, and the script reader in Pakistan told me the same thing the first one did, that the problem must be in my PC.  I referred him to the guy in live chat, and after 20 minutes of arguing I got a ticket opened.  Next morning the tech comes to the house, went through all the same steps I did the night before and found the same thing I did, a perfect connection to the CO, and problems beyond that.  After three hours he sent the call back to support and left.  About 6 PM I called the 800 number again to check the status of my ticket.  After going through all the menus again I hear a recorded announcement that there is an outage in the 908-245 area and the engineers are working on it. 

That outage was 24 hours longer than it needed to be, simply because of the script readers in Pakistan being totally and completely worthless as technicians.

Every few weeks Verizon is knocking on my door trying to sell me FIOS.  When pigs fly!  At least I can still watch TV when my net connection is down, an all too frequent problem these days, I don't want to think about losing my phone, network and TV and having to call the clowns in Pakistan on my cell phone and waste several hours with silly questions like "have you rebooted your TV set?"