Intermittent DSL
Glabbin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello!

I've been having problems with my DSL connection the past several days.  Basically, I lose my Internet connection for a period of say a minute to up to 10 minutes at a time.  This first happened Saturday night and was happening a several times a day, but all day yesterday was fine.  Today however it is on and off frequently.

The thing is, the lights on my modem (Westell 6100) are always fine and solid green when the Internet drops.  So it isn't like the modem is losing the connection.  I doubt it is my hardware as I have 3 working modems and 2 working routers and no matter which I use, I will lose my Internet access at some point.

The Internet connection will come back on its own eventually.  Rebooting my router and/or modem will usually make the Internet work again, but not always.

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent DSL
Glabbin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the late reply. After posting, I contacted Verizon tech support and explained everything I had tried (multiple modems and routers that are known to work, changed cables) and they fixed it on their end. I do not know what they did. 🙂

Verizon also said my modem (Westell 6100) was old and I needed a new one (D-Link 2750B) which they sent quickly. My DSL began working with the old modem so I don't really think that is the issue but I am using the new one now anyway. Verizon's answer always seems to be "it's your modem" even though it never has been for me when I have had the rare problem with my DSL.

That said, Verizon's tech support was polite and helpful and I am glad my DSL works now!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

Even if you know or don't know how to get that info, since you have RJ-45 WAN port routers: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port routers?

#4 You do not have more than one DSL modem connected to a phone line up and running at a time?

#5 All other devices expect the DSL modem that are connected to the phone line, are behind DSL filers?

0 Likes
Glabbin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the late reply. After posting, I contacted Verizon tech support and explained everything I had tried (multiple modems and routers that are known to work, changed cables) and they fixed it on their end. I do not know what they did. 🙂

Verizon also said my modem (Westell 6100) was old and I needed a new one (D-Link 2750B) which they sent quickly. My DSL began working with the old modem so I don't really think that is the issue but I am using the new one now anyway. Verizon's answer always seems to be "it's your modem" even though it never has been for me when I have had the rare problem with my DSL.

That said, Verizon's tech support was polite and helpful and I am glad my DSL works now!

0 Likes