Intermittent connection
bbethke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon sent me a new router a few months ago since no one at Verizon had any idea how to update my BIOS on my old router.  Normally this new router works fine, but about every 5-10 days I loose my internet connection.  My network still works but the Verizon DSL does not.  I found that by logging into the router from any computer on my network and then going to “System” and then “Maintenance” and clicking “OK” to “reboot Verizon” the internet always comes back.  Of course I do not want to do this on a regular basis and if I am not at the location, it cannot be reset.  I tried finding an email link to Verizon support, but it appears that Verizon no longer knows how to send/receive emails to their customers.  Also, the chat often is down and even when it is up, it takes forever to get help and I have to wait long periods as they chat with others in parallel.  I do not have hours to help Verizon fix their connectivity problem with the modem they sent me.  How do I get a replacement modem since Verizon is unwilling to do any trouble-shooting via email?  Thank you.

Re: Intermittent connection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I see

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
bbethke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is trace you requested:

traceroute to {edited for privacy} 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms
2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 72 ms 72 ms 18 ms
3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 3 ms 3 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 3 ms
4 P15-0-0.BLTMMD-LCR-01.verizon-gni.net (130.81.28.85) 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms
5 P8-0.BLTMMD-GLBRMDGL-ERXG01.verizon-gni.net (130.81.35.181) 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *

I have a 4 port router with wiereless LAN built-in to the modem.  The wireless LAN and wired LAN all work fine to talk between computers, even when the internet gets lost.  I logged into the router to find the following info:

System Information

Gateway ID: PX2M1BC042491
Software Version:
5.4.12.1.44 Upgrade
Release Date: Feb 19 2012
Platform: D-Link DSL-2750B Board
Tag: Ntag-5_4_12_1_44
Compilation Flags: LIC=/home/bat/bat/dlink_bcm96328_5_4_12_1/20120219_1343/conf/jpkg_bcm9636x_dlink.lic CONFIG_RG_PROD_IMG=y DIST=DLINK_DSL2750B
System Up Time: 22 hours, 10 minutes
Load Average (1 / 5 / 15 mins.): 0.04 / 0.01 / 0.00
0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

my internet connection has dropped five times so far today.  I need to type this fast before it get dropped ag..

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you look for the Transceiver Statistics, this text gives to you an idea of what to look for:

Line Mode, Data Path:, Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path, DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec), Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dBm).

#2 As where the Transceiver Statistics are located in the DLink 2750:

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the Transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink mode, so we'll need Verizon to grab the stats from the DSLAM, and while they're at it, check the logs on their end to see if the line is dropping out physucally, or is dropping out on another sense.

#3 Since I know you have an old DSL modem, as long as the old one is not a DLink 2750: What is the brand and model of the old DSL modem?

0 Likes
bbethke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the old modem was quite old and according to Verizon could never be upgraded to more current security settings I did not keep it.  This drop-out problem never happened wtih the old modem and used to happen with the new one only once every several months.  Now it can happen every several days.  It happened twice last week and after I got the modem reset I sent this trouble report (when I found out I could not email Verizon support).  How do I get a new modem sent out that will be free from these problems?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bbethke wrote:

How do I get a new modem sent out that will be free from these problems?

Uknown at this time.

An idea is to get your own DSL retail modem, but there is an issue with doing that.

If you want support from Verizon for any DSL modem not provided by Verizon (or not only for Verizon), they will charge you extra.

For example of a DSL modem that NOT provided only for Verizon, I point to

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Actiontec-Electronics-GT784WN-01-Wireless-N-ADSL-Modem-Router/16489828?fin...

For example of a DSL modem that is provided only for Verizon, I point to

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Actiontec-GT784WN-Wireless-Modem-Router-for-Verizon/23814354

@bbethke wrote:

Since the old modem was quite old and according to Verizon could never be upgraded to more current security settings I did not keep it.  This drop-out problem never happened wtih the old modem and used to happen with the new one only once every several months....

It is good to hear/read that it did not happen on the old one.

You seriously got rid of the old one, instead of keeping the old as a backup?

Opps that was a mistake - if I were you I would now regret that.

0 Likes
bbethke
Enthusiast - Level 2

1)  No, I do not want to go out and buy my own modem because Verizon sent me a defective one.

2)  I replaced the old one for a reason so did not want to use it anymore.  It was quite old and had none of the current security features, which are mandatory today.  After many iterations with chat over several weeks no one at Verizon seemed to know how to upgrade the old one, so the Verizon tech's suggestion was just to send a new modern one.  Of course I expected that to work.

3) Since Verizon no longer handles support for thier customers via email (makes us wait hours on the phone to a variety of techs who really can't help anyway.  And each time a customer calls back they get a new tech and have to start all over again.  It appears that the forum is the only "support" Verizon gives anymore, but even wtih this it takes forever to get Verizon to replace the bad modem.

4) Please tell me who I can email at Verizon to complain about this defective modem and set up to get a working replacement.  I am willing to do some tests on this modem if you can explain exactly what info you want and how I get it to you.  But in the end I want either this modem working or a replacement.  And as soon as possible.

Thank you.

0 Likes
bbethke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course no reply from anyone at Verizon about all the problems with the new modem/router.  And the only "help" I've gotten was the suggestion of going out and buying my own router since the one I got is defective, but then they say they won't support the new one.  So if I buy one it won't be supported, but then they are not supporting the new bad one either????  Every get the idea that Verizon does not want to help.

I did notice that the DSL goes out (and I need to manually reset the "Verizon Connection" in the router) move often when it rains.  It went out five times in one day when it was raining last Friday.  Therefore I attempted to put in a trouble ticket to get the line checked.  Of course, this is only half the problem.  If the DSL line does go out sometimes, a smart router would attempt to reconnect automatically when the line came back.  In my case, every time I manually tell the router to "Reset the Verizon Connection" it does, so why can't this be automatic?

If (and that is a big if) I can get Verizon repair out they will hopefully be able to fix the bad line to the house so rain will no longer affect performance.  However this is a big "IF" since it was next to impossible to find the links (after pages of ads) on Verizon's site to submit the trouble ticket.  And then once it was in I had to later answer a recorded phone call from Verizon saying, "Yes, I really want the service call I requested" (say what??).  Of course if I was out and the calls went to voicemail, they woudl cancel the request.  But even though I said "yes" I still get another call the next day asking again if I am really sure I really want service!  This time it is not pressing a button for "yes", but they insist I call them back and enter some code that means "yes" still.  They gave me the option of logging in online, as I did, but then (after more pages of unsolicited ads) I see a message notification.  I click on it, but of course it won't show the message.  And there are no indications of any link on the page for my message.  Ignoring that I eventually navigate to my repair ticket.  And even though I'm logged into my "secure" account, they ask my telephone number again (I am logged into that account for that phone number).  Anyway, after all that I get repair status and no indications of any other button I must press to say "yes, I really, really still want the repair I submitted".  So no idea what the last phone call was or if they'll ever come out.  How can Verizon make it any more difficult to get service.

Of course, even if they fix the line problem, I still do not know how to make the modem automatically "Reset Verizon" when it temporarily loses a connection.  My old router did that fine.  Why does the new modern, "improved" router not do that.  Perhaps I can get some help on this - but I won't hold my breath - I am talking Verizon here.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".  You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.  This should be checked on a frequent basis  as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes