Intermittent drop outs for High Speed DSL.
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone experienced random drop outs of their High Speed DSL?  My DSL line worked well for me for a couple of years, only had 3 or 4 times where the connection was lost, and it was fixed by rebooting the router. However, as of a few months ago, the connection goes down at least 4 or 5 times a day.  It is fixed by a simple reboot, but it is frustrating to have it drop in the middle of a long download or a VPN connection.  The Verizon help desk tested the line, and sent someone out to take a look, but they could not find the problem.  All of the router configurations and other test checked out fine.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent drop outs for High Speed DSL.
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replacing my modem solved the intermitent drop out problem and the slow down problem.  I had a westell 2200 and I bought a GEU003AD3 from Buy.com, it is a verizon dsl specific modem.

Also, I previously blamed verizon tech support, it wasn't their fault, I owe them an appology.  Sorry guys.

Note to self, think before getting angry....

View solution in original post

JKentzel

Yes, it  has been happening to me as well for the past month. Like you, I have had to unplug my modem over and over throughout the day. It really gets on my nerves. And when I call Verizon to fix it, they say " we will be doing a 24 hour line test" they call back the next day with an automatic message saying "we have fixed your problem" and they obviously haven't since I still have to unplug it all the time. Verizon is a joke.

0 Likes
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, that has been my experience with tech support, they say they fix it, bu treally they cannot determine the problem.  Their ability is limited for some reason.

I just purchased a new modem to solve some other issues, maybe it will fix this also, I will let you know.

0 Likes
sailguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here.  I have tried all the suggested solutions including clearing of excess files on my computer, replacing Ethernet cable and VZ Home Agent.  Re-booting most always helps but not 100%.  One caveat, another computer connected on the same DSL line does not experience the same drop out.

0 Likes
outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sailguy, For my connection it is all three computers at the same time.  A reboot of the modem fixes the problem.  If one computer disconnects when the other one doesn't, then you probably have to focus on that computer.  If it requires a computer reboot then you probably want to check the Ethernet card or software.  A software or firmware upgrade might help.

outthedoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replacing my modem solved the intermitent drop out problem and the slow down problem.  I had a westell 2200 and I bought a GEU003AD3 from Buy.com, it is a verizon dsl specific modem.

Also, I previously blamed verizon tech support, it wasn't their fault, I owe them an appology.  Sorry guys.

Note to self, think before getting angry....

sailguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

After all else was tried, disabling the firewall solved the dropout problem.  Currently I am trying to get the correct settings for the firewall from  Sunbelt so that it will work with Verizon.

0 Likes
ClaytonT

Constantly. I've spent hours on the phone trying to get it fixed, but all of the remote diagnostics they perform say it's fine. Just in this one-hour session I've rebooted 3 times.

0 Likes
fastlane917
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've experienced lost connection for a long time and finally decided it wasn't going to continue any longer. I've reset the modem so many times I can do it with my eyes closed, reversed the DSL line, rebooted computers, you name it.

After calling Tech Support this time, got a line test done. The tech came out and replaced a module at the pole located at the street and something else. That immediately fixed the static in my phone line as well as improved, not fixed, the DSL. It lasted a week and now a different tech says the line gives "excellent speed" rating yet the line test said otherwise. Go figure! Will see if a new modem resolves the issue.

I had a modem that a friend gave me, I got a solid DSL light, but it wouldn't give me a green light on internet. When I called Tech Support the guy said it wouldn't work on my line, however he offered to send out a new Westell 327W modem. I'll give it a try and see what happens. It's free......

0 Likes
hburg

I have been experiencing inermittent drop outs on my DSL for over a year now.  Technical support does line checks, service techs have come to the house to check the line, I have had my modum replaced, and I still have the drop outs.  This is really getting frustrating.   If there was another DSL provider in the area, I would switch in a heart beat.  Verizon promises to fix it but the problem resumes generally within hours.

0 Likes