Internet Speed Slow
SgtUSMarines

For over a month now I've had very slow Internet speed. (.52 to 1.0 Mb/s) at other times, it's exactly what I pay for and can get in my area.  Verizon Customer Service swapped the router from Westell to DLink, seemed to improve for a week or so, but back to the same slow connection.  There for awhile I thought it was congestion around peek times after 8 PM, but out the blue it started being in the morning and evening.  I guess I'm hoping someone or Verizon has posted an answer on here some where.

Router/Modem : D-Link, Model # DSL-2750B

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed Slow
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the model of that Westell modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
CeeHawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. I first started having problems during the evenings and the last 2 weeks have been really bad.  I have 3 MPS service.  Downloads speeds  as low a .05 tonight, between 9-10 PM .44 to 1.06 download and uploads .75-.77.  The problem can occur anytime but prime time seems to be worst.  

I have been on the phone with V for hours upon hours.  They keep opening and closing tickets.  If I have someone ask me to power down my modem one more time, I will feel the need to ... scream. 

Techs have been here and tested the line.   The local guys are trying to resolve it.  But it seems like the line guys are looking for a problem here that is beyond the local wires.  

The problem is downloads only.  Upload speed stay consistent

They have tested the wiring in and outside of the house.

The problem is on all computers and equipment

Tried a new modem (They will try to sell you one.)

The problem is on Verzion's end but they don't seem to have a good way of dealing with the issue.  If it is not a wiring issue, there doesn't seem to be a next step with their repair team.

If you are calling support with this issue, you may need to ask for a supervisor.

I will post if I get a solution.

0 Likes
nitro_fish

I have the exact same problem; I have contacted Verizon on countless occasions over the past several weeks and each time they insist a ticket has been opened, the problem resolved and the ticket closed, however the DSL service result is the same.

In my opinion, Verizon DSL is not worth the aggravation; I have been using the service for a few years now since FIO's is not available in my area.  The service continues to deteriorate and there doesn't seem to be a solution on the horizon, DSL continues to be the only option (at least through Verizon).  I have been on the phone with tech and customer support for the past several weeks as my internet speeds continue to slow; my average Latency test readings are usually in the low 200ms range, and my download speed is usually hovering around .67Mbps & upload speed around .72Mpbs, this is on the 3.00Mpbs plan! Totally unacceptable, they have sent me a new modem that did not help the situation, I have removed everything from the phone system except the modem and have connected it on a dedicated line to the exterior box on the residence and this doesn't help.  One of the customer service techs even went as far as to say noise was still present on my line after the home was completely removed via the exterior connection at Verizon's exterior entry point.  Check wireless or cable plans, don't waste your time or patience on Verizon DSL.

This may be an attempt for Verizon to abandon DSL service in an effor to focus on Fios customers instead?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi nitro_fish,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
rustybucket2

Ditto fish. I have the exact same problemand have contacted Verizon on countless occasions over the past several weeks but nothing has changed or been resolved. Good luck to all with the resolution of this problem but my time is worth more to me so I am out of here.

0 Likes
CeeHawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally have my problem resolved. 

After 2 weeks on the phone at least 30 hours; 6 techs at my location and have it fixed.

My problem is a capacity issue with verizon.  

I have a static IP address (business DSL to get the static address).  Most residential customers would have a dynamic IP address.    For those that don't understand.  Every time you connect to the Internet you have an address for your downloads (requested information).   A dynamic address is the same for a limited time.   The address will change over time (expires) or when you reboot you modem.  Since my address never changes, my downloads were traveling the same route every time (going to the same ip address).  My data was traveling over a trunk line that was over used and out of capacity.  My IP address was rerouted and my problem resolved. 

If you are experiencing slow downloads you can power down your modem and get a new route or IP address for your computer.  It might help your download speeds.  Verizon seems to have some capacity issues but will never admit it.

Shame on Verizon phone support personnel.    I was lied to over and over again, place in a transfer ring of people for an hour, supervisors refusing to speak to me.  I had to be very persistent to get a resolution.  The local techs where sent out over and over because Verizon wanted to blame the problem on the local line and not a capacity issue.  The local techs were great but their hands were tied.  

If you are having problems:  

• Try to power down the modem;   (to get a new dynamic address)
  • Go to speedtest.net   and check your download and upload speeds.  Is there a problem just download speed?
  • Try the same test on a different computer if possible.
  • If the problem is just download then it is probably not your equipment

If you call support;

• Don't agree to buy a new modem 
  • You will need to be persistent
  • Log your calls to support and get everyone's employee id;
  • Remember that you call request a supervisor

GOOD LUCK