Internet Speeds are slowing down.
Davewithak

The other day, I turned me computer on to download a file and normally I would download at about 180kb/s, but the file downloaded at about 80kb/s. I checked my setup, reset the router and computer, and it's still slow. I run a speed test to make sure it's not my computer, and the speed test assures me that my internet is downloading at 80kb/s. It' still slow today. What can I do to get back to my 180kb/s speed??

My modem/router is a Gateway GT704WGB. 

I have another computer that is linked wirelessly, but it's rarely used.

Edit: I just checked http://192.168.1.1/status.html and it says my "Attainable rate" 3444 / 1023 Kbps, which is the correct rate I signed up for,but my "Speed" is only 864 / 159 Kbps?!

Message Edited by Davewithak on 06-28-2009 07:04 PM
Message Edited by Davewithak on 06-28-2009 07:07 PM
0 Likes
Re: Internet Speeds are slowing down.
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@Davewithak wrote:

The other day, I turned me computer on to download a file and normally I would download at about 180kb/s, but the file downloaded at about 80kb/s. ... I run a speed test to make sure it's not my computer, and the speed test assures me that my internet is downloading at 80kb/s.

Do the same things performed by lorddonk in "Verizon DSL Connection Problems"  at http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=High_Speed_Internet&thread.id=2385&page=1.  Post your numbers here to then obtain answers.

Those speed test numbers only suggest a problem - do nothing to say why.

0 Likes
Davewithak

Okay, I did that and here's the information.

1. The two addresses are not the same 
  2. I don't have an "IP Address" it is listed as an IPv4 Address for some reason

From http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Your IP Address is 72.66.xxx.xx {edited for privacy}

From command prompt 'ipconfig'

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: domain-not-set.invalid

Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::1d02:36cb:c955:a101%11

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.64

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

From Command prompt 'ipconfig /all'

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: ***

Primary Dns Suffix:

Node Type: Unknown

IP Routing Enabled: No

WINS Proxy Enabled : No

DNS Siffix Search List: domain-not-set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description: Realtek RTL8168C<P>/8111C<P> FAmily PCI - E FE NIC

Physical Address: 00-21-70-5C-A2-C0

DHCP Enabled: Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::1d02:36cb:c955:a101%11<Preferred> 

Ipv4 Address: 192.168.1.64<Preferred>

Lease Obtained: Sunday June 28, 2009 8:42:48PM

Lease Expires: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:42:47PM

DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled 

I hope this info helps. 

Message Edited by KaLin on 06-30-2009 02:33 PM
0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@Davewithak wrote:

From command prompt 'ipconfig'

Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::1d02:36cb:c955:a101%11

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.64

IPCONFIG confirms the CPU is properly configured to talk to the router.  And that the router is located at 192.168.1.1. 

PING 192.168.1.1 would have confirmed that computer side connection is robust as well as exists.

Now view the other side of that modem.  As the previous example showed, get numbers in dB for signal strength.  Any decent modem/router has a page that reports those essential numbers.  To find those signal strength numbers, search the router's web server for those essential numbers.

Also noted were PING and TRACERT to internet computers such as verizon.net.   More useful numbers are the millisecond response times.

That previous example obtained conclusions by getting dB numbers from the router's server, and using the well proven PING and TRACERT programs to see timings as a result of that signal strength.

0 Likes
Davewithak

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 10.7 / 31.9 dB

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):  64.0 / 36.5 dB

Hope that's what you're looking for. 

0 Likes
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1
in the future you might not want to post your i.p. address in public forums
0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@Davewithak wrote:

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 10.7 / 31.9 dB

10.7 dB means your signal is too weak.  Explains low data rates.  Now, what is 'eating' the signal?

DSL is radio waves on the phone line.  Anything that might 'eat' that radio wave is blocked by a filter.  Is something inside 'eating' signals?  Or are signals made defective on Verizon's side?

Your solution starts by identifying which side is defective.   Connect the DSL modem directly to the NID box or to that junction block inside the basement.  IOW mark each wire, then temporarily disconnect your household wires completely.  Then connect your DSL modem directly to Verizon.  If signals remain low, then your household wiring is not eating DSL signals.  If signals increase above 16 dB or higher, then something inside the house has created low data rates.

Appreciate the concept.  Follow the evidence means reading and following numbers.

If household wiring is eating signals, well, that is easily solved by routing all other phone wires directly through a filter located as close as possible to the NID - just inside the house.  A DSL signal blocked by a filter cannot be 'eaten'.

Worry about raising the low dB number.  Then go back to speed tests to learn if the problem was solved.

0 Likes
Davewithak

Sorry for being such a noob, but I have no idea what you're talking about XD.

I called Verizon and they ran some tests and later that night, my speeds went up to  1792 / 447 Kbps. Still not what they should be, but better. They're supposed to call back soon.

0 Likes
OhReally

Beginning June 12th:

1. Tried reaching Verizon for days. Recorded message saying no reps available and problem affecting New york and surrounding areas.

2. Tried reaching Verizon for more days. Recorded message saying problem in areas surrounding mine and no reps available.

3. Tried reaching them again. I kept telling them that dsl would quit working until I used my phone on same line (different jack) to call them.

4. Called them from my cell phone. They saw something then. They tested for days, sent a new modem, and kept "bumping the problem up in priority". They would not send out a technician until a few days ago. This is about two weeks by now.

5. Technician re-wired, and dsl now CONSISTENTLY slow. Called Verizon again, they cleared the line, speed ok for rest of day.

6. Still slow. I am waiting for another technician to show up this Monday.

How slow, you ask? How about download speed of 10.1k/s, on account that should be 3 mps down, 768k up.

At this point, I don't think it matters what Verizon is offering - integrity is shot with me. Don't tell me that I can depend on you and then do a "Let's wear the customer down" dance when things go wrong. Account credit It does not compensate for lack of service and waste of customer's time.

Verizon, I am really dissappointed in you - no matter how politely you make me wait.

0 Likes
Davewithak
Well, they called and said they were still working on it a few days ago, and now it's back to normal... Still not the best it could be, tho.
0 Likes