Internet WORKS, but can't browse the web?
cTurner2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Verizon Community!

I just had internet ordered for my friend in MD under my name and all has gone well, loving verizons speeds!

However something strange occured the moment she first plugged it in and connected.

We have been able to skype video call, use remote control programs such as teamviewer, and use IM programs, but whenever she tries to use the internet via IE, Mozilla, or Chrome, it won't let her go anywhere saying her DNS settings (if I remember correctly) are incorrect.

I checked the network adapter settings on her computer and everything was set to be obtained automatically on both IPv4 and 6.

I'm at a loss and have no idea how to fix the issue. I've never had internet that works... but doesn't?

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet WORKS, but can't browse the web?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To sum up the forum thread: Try using other DNS servers to see if this helps. Open the Internet Protocol Version 4 settingd and change the DNS server settings from Automatic, to Manual. For some addresses to use, pick two from the list below of good public servers to use:

If that does not help the issue, I would suggest updating the NIC drivers on the computer, since it sounds like this is a Vista or Win7 machine. Lately it seems that updating drivers has solved odd issues such as these. Even if the computer manufacturer doesn't show a driver as updated, check the NIC Maker's website (Such as Realtek or Intel) for a generic driver they made, which should work in almost all cases. Windows Update might also have one as an optional update but I would suggest against this route unless you trust it.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I found the anwser using Google looking up

Internet WORKS, but can't browse the web?

One of the many results back came from

http://askmisterwizard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To sum up the forum thread: Try using other DNS servers to see if this helps. Open the Internet Protocol Version 4 settingd and change the DNS server settings from Automatic, to Manual. For some addresses to use, pick two from the list below of good public servers to use:

If that does not help the issue, I would suggest updating the NIC drivers on the computer, since it sounds like this is a Vista or Win7 machine. Lately it seems that updating drivers has solved odd issues such as these. Even if the computer manufacturer doesn't show a driver as updated, check the NIC Maker's website (Such as Realtek or Intel) for a generic driver they made, which should work in almost all cases. Windows Update might also have one as an optional update but I would suggest against this route unless you trust it.

cTurner2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try the fixes listed above and see if I can't find a solution based on all the resources the two of you have provided me with!

Thanks again!

0 Likes
cTurner2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't know what to tell you guys... She got back from her trip and as soon as she plugged it all back in, it worked. We had tried power-cycling it before and it turned no results, so I guess it either fixed itself, or it was an issue on Verizons side and it was taken care of.

Regardless, as happy as ever!

Also, I did set custom DNS servers that were not listed above, and I'm 100% sure that would also be the solution to this thread.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear it started working just like that 🙂

0 Likes