Internet keeps disconnecting
Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

This is my first post here. We have been a Verizon DSL customer for years. I know it is not the best, but in recent months, it has gotten worse. They recently sent us the D-Link router to replace our Actiontec, which seems to have gotten even worse. The main problem is that the internet keeps going out and never stays on. It is frustrating because I will be in the middle of something, either posting on a websitor playing an online game, and internet goes out. It is fixed when I turn off the router and turn it back on, but on temporaily.

So, my question is this: could it be a router setting, an issue with my line or something else? I tried doing on online chat with tech support, but they had me reset the router, then they closed the chat. I do not like calling their tech support because I try to tell them i have done all the troubleshooting and I would just like them to check the line, but they always insist that we go through the stupid steps for about the 20th time. The same steps I have done.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disconnecting possibly solved
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any wiring prior to a DSL filter can cause issues. If you get static at a jack, definitely take the jack off of the wall and figure out what's going on. If Verizon hasn't already attempted to install a Home Run at your house, call them out to install one. Verizon can exchange parts in your NID to filter the DSL at the NID, and then wire up a jack in your home specifically for DSL, while the rest are filtered out.

This is basically the best way to ensure that something in your house isn't messing with a filter. Also ensures that a bad filter isn't to blame.

View solution in original post

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the model of that D-Link?

#2 Do you have other DSL modem:

#3 Only if so to my last question, what is the brand and model of the other DSL modem?

#4 Do you have a wired or a wireless connection to your modem?

Disconnecting possibly solved
Annirh78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all, I posted a few weeks ago about constant disconnects. Tech guy came out and said problem fixed. Well, it wasn't. Here is a bit of backstory. We have Verizon DSL and have had constant problems in the past. Unfortunately, no new router and modems have not fixed the issue. I understand it is slow (wish FIOS was offered in my area), but the constant disconnecting is an issue. Here is my question: we have one phone connected to the line. I was doing some testing today thinking it was one our jacks, specifically the jack used for the internet. I came to realize that the phone jack connecting our phone is loose. When I wiggle the jack, I get a bunch of static. Could this be the cause of the disconnecting? A faulty phone jack? It does have a DSL fitler on it, but like I said the cord into the wall is loose.

Thanks for any answers.

0 Likes
Re: Disconnecting possibly solved
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any wiring prior to a DSL filter can cause issues. If you get static at a jack, definitely take the jack off of the wall and figure out what's going on. If Verizon hasn't already attempted to install a Home Run at your house, call them out to install one. Verizon can exchange parts in your NID to filter the DSL at the NID, and then wire up a jack in your home specifically for DSL, while the rest are filtered out.

This is basically the best way to ensure that something in your house isn't messing with a filter. Also ensures that a bad filter isn't to blame.

tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having this issue as well. For the past few years I had a Actiontec GT784WNV router. It had its issues but would stay connected throughout the day. Unfortunately it stopped sending WiFi so Verizon replaced it. The sent me a D-Link DSL 2750B. This modem can't seem to stay connected. It actually became disconnected while I was writing this post. I called and requested they send me another Actiontec but they said they no longer use those. I suspect that's because they are twice the price of the D-Link. I went to the Actiontec website and purchased my own new GT784WNV. It should be here Friday. I hope it solves the problem. When you are forced to use DSL they need to at least provide you with equipment that works.

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

One of the things they are going to realize is if I can't get this issue fixed and am forced to go back to my terrible cable company for broadband. I am not only going to stop my Verizon DSL service but also my 4 cell phones every time their contract expires. That's the price of a very nice car payment every month. AT&T has much improved their coverage so I just may change over to them. I already have DirecTv so I might even save some money with the bundle.

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update. Those of you that are expierencing disconnect issues. Yesterday was crazy. I got disconnected more than 30 times. I finally said that's enough and replaced the new D-Link with the old Actiontec it replaced while waiting for the new one to arrive. It's now been about 24 hours and I have not been disconnected once. I still have WIFI issues which was the origional reason for getting a new modem but still the connection is solid. I'm no expert in this field but you can't beat the evidance. Get rid of the D-Link DSL 2750B and purchase your own Actiontec GT784WNV and save yourself a ton of grief. Unfortunately Verizon doesn't contract with them any more so you will have to purchase it yourself from either the Actiontec website or somewhere else.

0 Likes