Involuntary Downgrade of Service
Netminder321
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found out yesterday, my 7 Mbps service was downgraded to 3 Mbps, without my knowledge.  Last month I called and had my Directv bundled with my home phone & DSL (YES, I know, HUGE error on my part)  After spending approx. six hours on the phone with various representatives, they tell me either I never had 7 Mbps or it is not available.  ( I had the 7 Mbps for approx 12 month, worked great!)  Well, after a career at a landline company, I have a clue of how things work and the ins & outs of a phone company, so I called maintenance and had a line check done.  I was told my line was clear and the distance I was from the C.O. would allow 10 Mbps...  Once again, I called Verizon, and they told me I was downgraded when the “bundle” order was placed.  There was no disclosure given and I specifically asked Angela, the representative who placed the order if there would be any effect upon my phone service or DSL service.  Angela assured me no changes to my service would take place.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed, not only with the fact that I was downgraded without any notice... but I was still being billed for the same rate for the downgraded service.  From where I was sitting, Verizon is downgrading customers, and charging them the same amount.  I say this because one of the service representatives I spoke to yesterday, advised me she had a customer in the identical situation.  He had bundled and his DSL was downgraded.

I do hope I can get this corrected quickly.

0 Likes
Re: Involuntary Downgrade of Service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a few things that have been taking place recently which could have caused your speed to drop to 3Mbps. When you requested a Bundle, it could be possible the provisioning system went ahead and enabled the ASSIA Optimization system. It tends to default at 3Mbps the DSL Enhanced (Anything >1Mbps) package and from there work it's way up or down based on how the line behaves. It can be shut off and the line set to a manual method of provisioning though, which is likely what you'll want. I can get you to somene who can fix this if you don't have any luck with Verizon's usual support channels.

What could have also happened is in recent months some Central Offices that are equipped with the 7+Mbps speed tiers have started to do a "stop sell" due to capacity issues, or to push locations to FiOS. As such, 3Mbps or 1.5Mbps tends to be the sticking speed. Hopefully it won't be since the 3Mbps tier just needs to go away for how often it is pushed on more-than-capable lines.

Netminder321
Enthusiast - Level 1

I do doubt the FIOS is the issue.... I sincerely believe we will not see fiber in our area until the next ice age.

My issue is that I was never advised I would have my DSL downgraded, the printed confirmation letter, makes no mention of my DSL service in any way, nor does it mention the DirecTV bundle that I was talked into.

I had no issue with the 7 Mbps service, ever.  Only when there was a regional outage. Downgrading me, and keeping my rate the same with no not informing me or reducing my monthly rate for the service.  I do hope I can get this resolved.

Any other suggestions or help will be very appreciated.

I will keep you posted.

0 Likes
Netminder321
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to call the CPUC....  this is total fraud by Verizon... NO disclosures and they can downgrade me?  FRAUD!!  No ethics at Verizon!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why am I not surprised...

Sending you some info to get this fixed up.

0 Likes