Is High Speed going away?
cmw4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did anyone else receive a message that they have to go to FIOS??  Is this not an option? Or can we stay with DSL?  Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is High Speed going away?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In FIOS areas, Verizon will send these letters because they are attempting to decommission the old Copper lines, as mentioned above. Verizon will only begin sending these letters in areas where they have already filed with regulators to decommission the copper lines. The letters should also state when they plan to terminate all DSL Service, meaning before then, you'll either need to get FiOS or sign up with competing Internet service, or Verizon will just automatically close the DSL account.

Be mindful that if Verizon offers you a transition package to FiOS, it's an existing DSL-customer specific deal that offers DSL Speeds over the Fiber network, and keeps the pricing the same. New customers cannot get it. If you're paying $43/m for DSL like many of us do on the DSL Enhanced plan, jumping to a real FiOS plan with a better Megabit/Dollar ratio would make sense.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@cmw wrote:

Did anyone else receive a message that they have to go to FIOS??  Is this not an option? Or can we stay with DSL?  Thanks

Ahh the issue here is that Verizon and others no longer want to support the copper lines to your residence since technology has made inroads by leaps and bounds.

fios is fiber optics and is much easier to place more customers on a single strand than on old tried and true copper.

Do you have to switch? That is hard to say. In some parts of the country Verizon and other telcos are bound by state, federal or local laws to keep it going. Verizon has sold off much of the non performing copper lines to other companies. 

However eventually it will be all fiber and wireless. 

You cannot stop progress. When I was a young man back in the fifties I could not imaging cellular devices or even fiber optics (glass strands) let alone the dick Tracey watches (Apple Watch 3) let alone FaceTime etc.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In FIOS areas, Verizon will send these letters because they are attempting to decommission the old Copper lines, as mentioned above. Verizon will only begin sending these letters in areas where they have already filed with regulators to decommission the copper lines. The letters should also state when they plan to terminate all DSL Service, meaning before then, you'll either need to get FiOS or sign up with competing Internet service, or Verizon will just automatically close the DSL account.

Be mindful that if Verizon offers you a transition package to FiOS, it's an existing DSL-customer specific deal that offers DSL Speeds over the Fiber network, and keeps the pricing the same. New customers cannot get it. If you're paying $43/m for DSL like many of us do on the DSL Enhanced plan, jumping to a real FiOS plan with a better Megabit/Dollar ratio would make sense.

chaz21

hope not! I don't have fios in my area, they stop putting it in in Allegeny county, Pittsburgh PA area only has it, it is not coming to Westmoreland or anywhere else. Wish they did. And Comcast is way too much for my budget, I just got rid of cable, too much money for watch 5 channels. I'm not paying $60 for Comcast internet alone. This is stupid!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon should continue offering DSL in the areas without FiOS. Nothing to worry about short term. Long term, they are probably going to try to replace DSL with a wireless solution like 5G.

0 Likes