Is Verizon Central suspect?
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

When I start from my Verizon Yahoo entry page, and click on "Verizon Central", I'm getting a message saying that there is a missing or out of date certificate at Verizon Central, and that I should not proceed to open the page.  This started about 3 days ago.  I think the message is coming from MS Security, or one of the other cops.

I didn't open the page. I found a different way to get here.

Are other people seeing the same thing?  Has Verizon Central been hacked?  Did they let their cert expire?  Has my link to Verizon Central been hijacked?  I don't know how to investigate any of these things.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon Central suspect?
ceyanne
Enthusiast - Level 2

A friend of mine is having the same problem.  She is not very computer literate and did not use her laptop for about 6 months.   When she finally started using  it again the other day, she encountered the same message while trying to access her email through Verizon Central.  Everything else on Verizon opens up fine and so far as I can tell, all other websites are working fine. 

I made sure that all Windows updates were done.  Thinking about going into Tools and Internet options and clear stuff out of there (cookies, history, etc.)  I'm going to try that tomorrow but would love some other suggestions.   I have not figured out another way to get to her email.  Mind sharing how you managed to get to yours?

0 Likes
ceyanne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an FYI... in researching this problem again, I have come across quite a few people who had a similar problem.  Turns out the date was wrong on their computer.   Once they fixed the date and time, everything worked fine.  I suspect that may be my friend's problem, too.  Inoticed that her time was wrong the other day on her computer.  I'm headed over to her place now to check the date.  🐵

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I have been accessing my email through Verizon!Yahoo's mail services. 

I've got my home page set to Verizon Yahoo, and I've got the "Personal Assistant" box included in the content of that page.  One of the six choices in that box is "Mail" and that gets me to a mail application, without passing through Verizon Central.

I do not know whether that mail mail application is offered by Verizon or by Yahoo.

I had a harder time getting back to this forum without going through Verizon Central.  I found my way to the "My Verizon" sign in screen.  After signing in I'm on the main screen for My Verizon.  One of the choices on that screen is "Support" and then "Forums".  After that, I have to sign in again, this time to forums, in order to be able to post here.

BTW,  my computer's date and time are ok.  As far as I can see from here, it really is a problem with an expired certificate at Verizon Central, but not at the rest of the Verizon pages.  I don't know whether Verizon or Yahoo would have to fix that. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I've browsed to the Verizon Central page with IE8, Firefox, and Google Chrome. None of them gave any errors. All of them indicate that there is no problem with the certificate.

The most common problem of certificate errors is the time on the computer. Make sure it has the correct Time and Date (look carefully at the year).

If the date and time on the computer is correct, then try clearing the cookies and temp files on the computer.

One of these should clear the issue. But Verizon Central is not suspect as far as every computer I can lay my hands on show.

rojo3

I am having the same problem, but no one seems to have the correct answer. My time and date is correct.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

After looking a little more closely, I have concluded that the certificate problems I've been having are not with the Verizon Central page itself.  Rather it's with some intermediate page that's still part of the Yahoo website for Verizon customers. 

I've sent feedback to Yahho, but received no response.

In the meantime, I'm accessing My Verzion a different way, and from there getting to this forum.

0 Likes
dilly55

Hi.  I just started getting certificate problems today.  I went onto the website, even tho it said not to, and logged in.  While I was working on another page, it cancelled out and I had to log in again.  Will this keep happening?  I don't have any other security cops on my computer, as I don't use this one for much.  Does anyone have a clue?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the issue you guys are getting isn't with the Time and Date on your PC or with the browser, it's more than likely an issue with the certificate being presented in a wrong way or the browser is unable to verify the validity of the certificate. It happens, and it should clear out.

I'm not getting any warnings from Firefox 4, and I verified that the certificate is valid. It doesn't expire for a few weeks, but by then a new one should be being presented to our browsers. I'm also not getting issues with anything Yahoo-related, and those certificates are also coming up as valid.