Is Verizon intentionally cutting DSL speed to get people to switch to FIOS?
mooret48
Enthusiast - Level 1

Seriously. I ask this question because since the time FIOS became available and Verizon started to market it heavily my connection speeds went from a little over 2MBPS to what measureed as low as .09mbps today with a high of .463MBPS. I count myself lucky now I was as high as 1.2MBPS on Saturday. I have even run a direct line from the connection box out back to the modem and it did not increase the speed so I know it isn't wiring.

Since someone keeps asking for transciever stats here they are

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254      
Vendor ID Code:        4      
Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode      
Data Path:               Interleaved      
Transceiver Information     Down Stream Path     Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     480     832
Margin (db)     5.0     12.0
Line Attenuation (db)     48.5     18.5
Transmit Power (db/Hz)     14.0     11.0

I will say this: I will not be switching to FIOS at this point. I feel taken advantage of here. There is no reason for these slow speeds. A guy was out to check my line just 6 weeks ago so it isn't there either. The only thing it can be is throttling by verizon.

Re: Is Verizon intentionally cutting DSL speed to get people to switch to FIOS?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wouldn't call that throttling. I would honestly call that "Noisy Line Syndrome." Your speeds are low because of the poor condition of the copper line you are on, and whoever was out 6 weeks ago should have caught that issue. Since you have already taken steps to rule out your home's wiring, it would be Verizon issue to solve. You will need a line tech to come out and locate the source of noise. This holds true especially if you are having issues with voice service around the same time of the DSL service going south.

Quite honestly in areas where FiOS becomes available, Verizon scales down their copper work force in favor of FiOS-related labor. I cannot blame them for wanting to get rid of an old copper/DSL network that was built years ago after they have invested millions (and billions if you include all other area) in building a new network, since an old copper network costs far more than a Fiber network to maintain in the long run, only for people to be hating on it. Typically when Verizon does something like this, the copper network for whatever reason starts to deteriorate rather quickly over time. It's fight Verizon to get the line fixed if they refuse to fix it, or try to bring them up on their secret FiOS package that costs $30 for 3/1 (or 5/1) FiOS.

0 Likes
mooret48
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually two guys came out on two successive days. They claimed they could test me at 2mbps. Well I guess I go back to yelling on the phone while I figure out who  my new ISP is going to be.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I wouldn't doubt the techs being knowledgeable enough to give an accurate reading for the capable speed, it's very possible they were stating the best speed to expect out of the line in it's current state. The way I see it, there is no higher speed with your statistics since the modem and DSLAM will refuse to sync any higher, unless transmit powers are boosted and/or the line improves. You'll have to get the line repaired either way.

0 Likes
OhReally

I am under the same impression as you are. Everything was working fine until new neighbors were scheduled to have service installed - FIOS, of course.As someone else replied, I ended up with "noisy line syndrome". Clever, eh? Not only that, but my email access times out in the middle of my composing. While Skyping today, my call kept being dropped. When I brought up my browser, I noticed that some of the search tools which require speedy 'net access did not even appear in the side bar.

Verizon NJ has gotten as aggressive and brazen as the relationship between Verizon NJ President and Governor Christie has grown.Christie in - landline prices going up, etc. at "FIOS SPEED". In over 50 years, our line has only needed service 4 times - and that only due to bird nests or branches downed by storms.

Would you beleive that a phone rep had the nerve to tell me that Verizon is still backed up for service since the earthquake from last summer????!!!! I get better responses from the reps in India, and I am NOT exaggerating.

I resent the arrogant strong-arming approach and now I, too, am going to seek other options.

0 Likes