Issue with Actiontec GT407WG
LMO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I searched the forum for this model gateway and got no hits, so I suspect there is something wrong with the search I tried.

Here is the situation in brief: I have a Westell 327W gateway and discovered some time ago (perhaps two years) that it was rebooting from a buffer overrun problem.

Verizon did not have a fix for this problem, so I purchased (from Verizon) an Actiontec GT704WG, which does not have the buffer issue.  However this gateway has a bug in the DNS server; here is what Verizon tech support sent with regards to this issue:

"This issue is a known issue with the Actiontec gateway. It is being worked on but at this time there is no fix available for the gateway itself. The solution is to set manual DNS settings on your computers.

To do so go to start, control panel, and click network connections if you see that, if not click network and internet connections and click network connections in the bottom left. 

Right click on the Local Area Connection or Wireless connection you are using and select properties.

Click to highlight Internet Protocol [TCP/IP] , and then click the Properties button.

Set the option for use the following DNS server information.

Enter 68.238.64.12 for the "Preferred DNS Server" field and 68.238.128.12 for the "Alternate DNS Server".

Then click ok."

I was told to check back periodically to see if the fix was available, but it is hard to get through to support (no email, for example) and they really want you to pay for the privilege of asking if they have fixed the defective product they sold you.  

My question(s): Does anyone know of a fix for this gateway?  Is there a fix for the Westell unit?  Is there any reasonable alternative?

TIA,

LMO 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issue with Actiontec GT407WG
LMO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know whether the firmware upgrade explicitly fixes the DNS problem or not, but there is now the option to specify static DNS addresses on the router, so that should take care of my issue.

Thanks for checking the forum and providing the link--it seems that phone support was not able to direct me to the firmware upgrade. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
I"m not aware of the issue, but have you tried updating the firmware on the actiontec to see if it will correct the issue?>  CLICK HERE
LMO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know whether the firmware upgrade explicitly fixes the DNS problem or not, but there is now the option to specify static DNS addresses on the router, so that should take care of my issue.

Thanks for checking the forum and providing the link--it seems that phone support was not able to direct me to the firmware upgrade. 

0 Likes
TdaMoose

I have been trying to remotely connect to my home desktop (quad Mac Pro) but the connection fails in I can't wake up the system. I have found the problem seems to be that I use a dynamic IP address and I need a static IP address. My question is how do I set up a static IP addrss for my WAN to LAN connection? Alos, is there an extra cost in using a static rather than a dynamic IP address?

Thnaks for any help.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

TdaMoose wrote:

My question is how do I set up a static IP addrss for my WAN to LAN connection? Alos, is there an extra cost in using a static rather than a dynamic IP address?

What kind of router are you using? 

As for the extra cost between static and dynamic ip....yes there is a price difference.  Usually it's businessess that get static ip addresses wnen they need a dedicated path for people to communikcate to their servers from the outside world.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 * Quote *

As for the extra cost between static and dynamic ip....yes there is a price difference. Usually it's businessess that get static ip addresses wnen they need a dedicated path for people to communikcate to their servers from the outside world.

* End Quote *

Yes, as long as they are talking about public IPs.

Which is an IP that is not any in any of these IPs ranges:

a) 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

b) 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

c) 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

#2 You are using a Mac?
0 Likes