Lafayette, IN. DSL problem
pahaso

I've been losing connection every hour since last week. Trying all sorts of things including getting a new modem in vain, I noticed today in this forum that others in the area (Lafayette, IN) were having a similar problem. So, I'm making a new post with that title to see how many in Lafayette are having that problem. If we find it to be significant, perhaps Verizon will do something about it, too.

As for me, everything would work fine, but every hour or so, I get disconnected for 1-5 minutes. Modem lights would remain as when the connection is good (DSL solid, DATA and INTERNET blinking), but there simply is no connection. This made me think perhaps it's a modem issue, but a new modem had same problems (Anyone know refud policy of Best Buy?). Oh, and one of Verizon guys actually told me to get a new modem even though he wasn't sure if it's modem problem or not. I hate you.

After many, many phone calls, they arranged a dispatch team. Someone's supposed to come between 8am - 7pm Monday, 14 th, so I'll post an update.

BTW, I live in Pheasant Run near Ivy Tech.

0 Likes
Re: Lafayette, IN. DSL problem
jlee203

I also live in Pheasant Run. Having the EXACT same problem.

I haven't been able to get a tech out to me, so maybe when you get one it will fix both our problems 🙂

Good luck wth the modem, hope you can get it returned.

0 Likes
jlee203

Just called verizon again, and I was prepared to go to battle with them since I could confirm many others are having the exact same problem within my complex.

They confirmed for me that there is an outage and have no timetable as to when it will be fixed, that's all the info i could get.

anyone know if we can get comcast at Pheasant Run?

0 Likes
pahaso

I hope they know what the problem is, then, at least, so that they can actually FIX SOMETHING! But I guess it also means it won't get fixed tomorrow by the dispatched technician...

As for cable, I tried getting Insight at first. Edward Rose doesn't allow it. The only cable, promoted by them (I'm sure you've seen it in the office), is simply awful. It was more than an year ago, but I can tell you it was way worse than what Verizon is doing at the moment. That's why I'm using DSL now. Maybe they upgraded their service, but I'm not willing to try. As you may know, cable contract is with apartment lease, and you can't end it unless you end your lease contract. I had to make many angry visits and phone calls to get an exception.

In conclusion, we're stuck with what is less worse. ^_^

Oh, and don't misunderstand. Pheasant Run provides the best apartment rental service I've seen. It's just their cable internet.

0 Likes
jlee203

I used their cable internet for a while in my first apartment here, and while it was good for awhile, it became godawful after a few months and since my girlfriend is a student, it was simply unacceptable. They were able to take it off my lease.

Verizon has been much, much better with connectivity, but when you run into a problem, dealing with tech support is probably one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

Off topic, but not exactly....how is your cable TV service? We are using Dish Network (via Pheasant Run) and have been severely unsatisfied since we moved in with it. But we can't afford to move to another complex right now, so we've had to deal with it. We aren't TV Junkies, but when we want to watch TV, there is usually a problem with the satellite. Also something they've claimed they would fix for the last two years...but haven't.

0 Likes
jlee203

Also, if I were you, I would call to confirm you are getting a technician either tonight or tomorrow. In my experience with Verizon, if they say they are sending a technician, they often close the ticket without your knowledge and you end up waiting aroudn all day for a technician that won't show. If they are aware of the "outage", they may have already closed your ticket. Don't want you wasting an entire day waiting for someone who won't be showing up.

0 Likes
Isaque

After realizing that I wasn't the only one who was having this issue, I went and returned the modem I bought. 30 day return policy on new, 14 day on used. Got a full refund. Good luck!

I would also take Verison DSL with all its issues over the crappy Cable Internet Pheasant Run provides.

0 Likes
viper92583

You and I seem to have about the same problem.  It goes great for a while, and then it just suddenly dies for a couple minutes.  And after that, it does it again, but it really isn't dependable at all.  I'm a graduate student at Purdue, and quite frankly, I'm just glad it's summer vacation, and I don't have to be at school this month.  Otherwise, I'd have a pretty rough time keeping up with school and everything.

I hope they figure this out and fix it, rather than just saying "we're aware of an outage in your area".  I hate having to pay this much for something that isn't working...and something I pretty much need, being out at Pheasant Run.  I love everything about the place, except the internet they provide...

0 Likes
pahaso

What a consensus! DSL, cable internet, apartment... heh. Too bad these for-profit companies can't make most out of it.

I'll take your advice and give Verizon a call tomorrow to confirm someone's coming. As for TV, I don't watch at all, so I can't tell you much.

And thanks for your supports, all. It's good to know I'm not alone in this. Just wish I'd found about it only a day earlier... Then, I wouldn't have to bother with the new modem...

0 Likes
SandTrap

Exact same problem, in Central Lafayette.  I know of another person in West Lafayette with the same issue.  I do not live in Pheasant Run.

At this point I rather doubt it is a wiring problem - it is a Verizon network problem.

0 Likes