Linksys router no longer works with Westell 6100 modem
sweetnuttin

Hi all,

I came back after a 3 month work absence (and many days power outages, according to the neighbors), to find that my system can no longer connect to the internet using the Verizon Westell 6100 modem to a Linksys wrt54G router to 2 PCs!

I reset the Westell modem and directly connected the PC to it and THAT works okay, but put the router back in the mix (so I can connect my other PC) and nothing works!

I have read on this forum about 'Bridgeing" the Westell modem but nothing about setting up the router.

Can someone PLEASE give me explicit instructions on how to:

1.)  set up the Westell modem in this "Bridge" mode,

2.)  Set up the Linksys router to work with the modem again??

3.)  Tell me why the old setup no longer works, did verizon change something for this modem?

Thank you VERY much for your help in this matter!

SUE  ;>)

0 Likes
Re: Linksys router no longer works with Westell 6100 modem
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I hope somebody will answer the questions you asked.

But if you can't get the linksys going again, consider this alternative:  Ask Verizon to replace the 6100 with a 7500.  The 7500 is like the 6100, except is has four ethernet plugs in the back instead of just one.  You won't need a router to connect 4 PCs to it.

0 Likes
tut123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem.  Started Monday.

I found this info of line:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

I have set my DSL modem to bridge, but did not have time to rerun modem setup.  I will do that tonight.

My question to Verizon support is, what changed?  All of a sudden my DSL connection was dropping.  Everything with my Netgear router and DSL modem has been working fine up to this week.

I removed the Netgear router and connected my PC directly to the DSL modem and I found messages that Verizon wanted me to download some software and reinitialize my Verizon DSL account.

Is there an easier way to do this than mess up some connection?

-Rick

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, this is what you could do.

#1 In the Linksys go to Setup - > Basic Setup.

#2 Where it says Local IP Address, change that to 192.168.2.1

#3 Press Save Changes

#4 As need be, release and renew the IP Address on your computer.

For example if you on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

d) Then in that same window, type in ipconfig /renew and press enter.

#5 Tada, online (but since the modem is not in bridge mode, you are Double NATTED).

0 Likes
sweetnuttin

Hi  dslr595148,

I do NOT understand - sorry!

You want me to disconnect the westell6100 and just connect the router to the PC and then proceed with your instructions?

I do NOT understand #5 at all,  what is Double NATTED?!!?

And yes - I am running Windows XP Pro SP2!

When do I reconnect the Westell into the mix and how do I tell if I have PPPoE or a DHCP type Internet connection???

Also, just to be safe - if I am supposed to use the previous posters reply about getting into bridge mode,  are there instructions for returning the Westell back to the way it was in case something goes wrong?? 

I would hate for that  to happen and then I would not have any way of connecting back to the iternet so I can get further help!

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,   Sue  ;>)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sweetnuttin wrote:

When do I reconnect the Westell into the mix and how do I tell if I have PPPoE or a DHCP type Internet connection???

To help you figure that out, I need to know...

What Westell Firmware is it ( The White and Blue or the Red and Black ) ?

@sweetnuttin wrote:

You want me to disconnect the westell6100 and just connect the router to the PC and then proceed with your instructions?

No, that would not work..

#1 Disconnect your PC from the Westell.

#2 Connect the Linksys to the Westell.

#3 Connect your PC to the Linksys.

#4 Then you could follow my directions...

@sweetnuttin wrote:

I do NOT understand #5 at all,  what is Double NATTED?!!?

#1 At http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

Steve Gibson talks about why users would want to have two NAT routers on purpose for security reasons.

#2 You could also see..

http://www.databitsnews.com/?p=395

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This is the best way to hook up a router with the westell 6100 

How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

Follow those instructions and you should be in great shape!

0 Likes
sweetnuttin

Hello again,

I have the "Red & Black"  Verizon firmware.

Looking thru the stuff from the modem when I logged in to it, it states it has an IP Address Allocation = DHCP,

and also a Connection type = PPP.

Now that really confuses me!!

Is there a way to attach jpg's to these posts??

Tnx a bunch!

Sue

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the router has two connections.  one is called a WAN and that is a wide area network, and it means the internet in your case.  and one is called a LAN, local area network.  

what you saw means - that the way you connect to your internet is through PPPoE, a username and a password. 

and then way your LAN connects is DHCP,  how all of your local computers connect.  This is important, because after you bridge the westell, you will be setting your Linksys up for PPPoE connection, and NOT DHCP.      if you don't do this step, then you will never connect.  

that is fine, and normal.  if you follow the instructions at the link provided - you will be able to connect real easily.   

you will want to bridge the westell just follow the instructions for "If your Westell uses the red and black Verizon firmware:"

Re: Double NATted
NetSec
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a good issue to work on.  I've been trying to figure out how to make a FW/router work behind a Westell DSL modem without having to pay for a publicly accessible IP Address for behind the modem.

There must be a way to configure the Westell to allow for two networks to exist on the Westell LAN side:

1) The network of the Westell LAN side (the one between the Westell and in front of the FW/router)

2) The network behind the FW/router (since we do not want to DOUBLE NAT)

The FW/router can exist in classic mode routing and the Westell does understand route tables.  However, the Westell router does not understand that the FW/router LAN side traffic should go back to the Westell LAN side. 

All the traceroutes show the Westell sending replies that came from the FW/router LAN network out to the internet.

It is rather annoying. 

0 Likes