Lose DSL connection every day
Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

I lose internet connection every day - sometimes for hours. I have a Westell 6100G which has been replace 3 times during troubleshooting. They gave me a new connection at the ASAM which improved the connect speed. The problem is the margin dB drops below 10 (up) a lot. Other than having a DSLAM installed near me, is there anything that can be done to improve the connection margin dB?

Razz

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lose DSL connection every day
Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I had 2 Verizon technicians visit me on Sep 2nd. I showed them my spreadsheet that I have been keeping records of transceiver stats, weather conditions, times of day, etc. My problem occurred in all weather conditions and all times of day/night. What they found was that my line was bridged at 2 points and there was (and still is) a large signal strength drop between the pole across the street and one down the road. That wire is under ground then goes above ground over a river and back under ground - they won't be troubleshooting that any time soon. But since they removed the bridges from my line and I replaced on questionable wire inside my house - all is well. The connection has remained on and up/down connect speed steady after one week so far.

We believe the line being bridged created extra capacitance on the line causing the dropouts.

Razz

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For starters, can you provide your complete Transceiver Statistics for us to see here? From there, we can see what can be done to improve the connection.

0 Likes
Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1 Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST   Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448 Margin (dB) 19.7 21.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 51.8 29.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 16.7 11.9

These stats are from a good connection. The downsteam margin will go below 10 and that is when I lose connection.

Is there a way to increase the Margin dB down other than having a DSLAM installed somewhere near me?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The goal is to actually keep the margin maintained in a certain range rather than to increase it. You can have the margin at 30db and have it tank down to the negatives on a line with a problem somewhere. Your statistics when the line is running nicely are fine, so as a start, see if you can correlate the the times at which the DSL drops to certain activities outside. For example, if you notice the problem happening when street lamps come on, when particular devices are powered up, or when the temperature is at certain points during the day, that would help identify where the problem is. Additionally, plugging the modem into the NID during the time where the DSL tends to drop will at least help to rule out any issue inside of your home, if the drops correlate with a specific time.

0 Likes
Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I had 2 Verizon technicians visit me on Sep 2nd. I showed them my spreadsheet that I have been keeping records of transceiver stats, weather conditions, times of day, etc. My problem occurred in all weather conditions and all times of day/night. What they found was that my line was bridged at 2 points and there was (and still is) a large signal strength drop between the pole across the street and one down the road. That wire is under ground then goes above ground over a river and back under ground - they won't be troubleshooting that any time soon. But since they removed the bridges from my line and I replaced on questionable wire inside my house - all is well. The connection has remained on and up/down connect speed steady after one week so far.

We believe the line being bridged created extra capacitance on the line causing the dropouts.

Razz

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the issue was corrected! Let us know if anything props up again, and if they get around to repairing the loss between the two poles.

0 Likes