Lost IP access to Linksys wireless router WRT54GS v.4. How to restore?
StephenT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apologies for the long post and multiple questions. If you can answer at least one of them, I will be appreciative!

While attempting to set-up wireless networking between my new Westell Model 6100G and Linksys wireless router WRT54GS v.4 (with most recent upgraded firmware), I lost access to the Linksys. When I hooked up the Linksys again via Ethernet to my XP PC with the modem no longer connected, I was unable to access it via IP 192.168.1.1. All I get is a blank web browser page (with the usual “diagnose, etc.” button). I assumed this is because the IP address conflicts with IP for the Westell, but I am also concerned if it is hardware failure. I have tried resetting the router, but no luck. I have tried ipconfig /all which gave me a different ip address. But when I tried to access the Linksys using this ip address, I was unsuccessful. I hooked up the router to a different pc with no present Internet access and tried IP 192.168.1.1, but still no luck. Trying the IP I got from ipconfig /all at this new pc failed as well.

Is there a chance I have a hardware failure? I had access last night when the linksys was at its original location (I only checked it once before turning in), but I seem to have lost access ever since I moved it closer to my desk and to a new electrical outlet. When turned on, the Linksys has green lights in the right places, so it looks fine, but, again, no access via IP.

If it’s not hardware failure, how do I find out what IP address the Linksys actually uses now if it is no longer 192.168.1.1? Or how do I change it?

Is a WRT54GS v.4 worth the trouble or should I start over and upgrade to a newer router?

Is Linksys the best choice with the Westell 6100G? The configuration procedures seem very complicated compared to my ease of router/modem configuring in the past.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lost IP access to Linksys wireless router WRT54GS v.4. How to restore?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
 The first thing you need to do is get your DSL account setup and working with the Westell modem. Once the DSL works you need to setup the Westell modem in bridge mode. You now can hook up the Linksys router. Plug an ethernet cable from the Westell modem into the Linksys WAN port. If your DSL is DHCP you need to clone your MAC address first then set the router for DHCP. If you are PPPoE you need to setup the Linksys with your DSL user name and password. You can now plug any additional computers into the Linksys or set them up wirelessly.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
 The first thing you need to do is get your DSL account setup and working with the Westell modem. Once the DSL works you need to setup the Westell modem in bridge mode. You now can hook up the Linksys router. Plug an ethernet cable from the Westell modem into the Linksys WAN port. If your DSL is DHCP you need to clone your MAC address first then set the router for DHCP. If you are PPPoE you need to setup the Linksys with your DSL user name and password. You can now plug any additional computers into the Linksys or set them up wirelessly.
StephenT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

“The first thing you need to do is get your DSL account setup and working with the Westell modem.”

Done. Direct Internet connection works correctly with Westell configured as a “routed bridge.” (details: the night before I wrote,  on the evening of the exact date of my service activation, I was unable to connect to the Internet with the “out-of-the-box” Westell Model 6100G. After a long call to support and much reconfiguring, Direct Internet access was successful. I am still not sure if success was due to the reconfiguring or due to problems with activating my account).

“Once the DSL works you need to setup the Westell modem in bridge mode. “

I did this while the Westell was still connected directly via Ethernet to the PC. I immediately lost my Internet connection. Is this normal? Concerned, I restored it to “routed bridge.”

I will skip describing the rest of the steps I took, as I now believe this is the crucial question:

_when I setup the Westell modem in bridge mode, will I lose my Internet connection?_ (Will it be restored once I have correctly configured the modem with the router?)

0 Likes
StephenT1
Enthusiast - Level 2
"_when I setup the Westell modem in bridge mode, will I lose my Internet connection?_ "

Answering my own question: "yes."

I found what looks like a good step-by-step guide to hooking up a Westell 6100 to a Linksys

router at:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/vz/4._Hardware#13600

It provides more detail and up-to-date illustrations than Verizon's instructions at

https://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsOne/87126.htm

(which appear to be for an earlier version of the Westell 6100), although they are otherwise similar. The DSLreports faq confirms that Internet and IP access to the modem will be lost during the setup phase. For a "newbie" at such linking, this bit of information is very helpful!

Thank you, Telcoguru, for confirming that I should have followed the instructions exactly from beginning to end before becoming concerned and skipping steps.

I will close this thread and wait for a long lazy day, to try linking the Westell and the Linksys again. If I need to post again, it will hopefully be with more specific questions about specific steps that haven't worked as they should.
StephenT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a follow-up to the above: using the http://www.dslreports.com/faq/vz/4._Hardware#13600 site, I successfully bridged the Westell 6100G Modem to the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router. The Verizon instructions at https://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsOne/87126.htm are mostly correct, but would have been so much more helpful if they'd added phrases like "when you change the DSL modem from 'routed bridge' to 'bridge' you're going to lose your Internet connection. That's supposed to happen. Don't panic. Have a beer and go to the next step." The DSLreports instructions did include such explanations (minus the beer part). They also covered DHCP, which turned out to be my setup. The Verizon instructions only cover PPPoE. -- This might not have been a problem, since as soon as I was able to re-access the router, I discovered I had full Internet access again. But that was almost by accident. If I hadn't realized I had Internet access and, using the Verizon instructions only, tried changing the DHCP settings to PPPoE, I have no idea of the result. More panic and a prescription to Prozac? Anyway, I know a lot more about modems, routers, bridges, hubs, and switches now than I did 4 days ago. And I'm very thankful for the DSLreports website.