Low speed internet -- intermittent problems
N_e_a_l

Usually my internet service is fine; but, occasionally it will be very slow (essentially unusable).  The past couple days it has been VERY slow and unusable.  I have tried restarting the computer and internet/router many times to no avail.

0 Likes
Re: Low speed internet -- intermittent problems
frilled2b

Yes I am also having connectivity problems.  I live just north of Buffalo and certain times of day I experience allot of slow issues.  BUT today it connects for five minuets Then disconnects.  Almost unusable. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@frilled2b wrote:

Yes I am also having connectivity problems.  I live just north of Buffalo and certain times of day I experience allot of slow issues.  BUT today it connects for five minuets Then disconnects.  Almost unusable. 

You're not in an area capable of getting FiOS, are you? If you are in a FiOS area, seriously, get off of the DSL as the copper service will not be getting any better if Fiber is around. Verizon has some unadvertised plans with FiOS that can match the price of the DSL you have now, and you're just in general going to have a much more pleasant Internet connection running at 5Mbps/2Mbps versus ????/????kbps + disconnects.

Now if you can't get FiOS, make a new thread on this forum and we'll see what we can do to identify what's going on.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

To frilled2b besides what Smith6612 said please start a new thread with the above requested info.

0 Likes
doracute
Enthusiast - Level 2

@N_e_a_l wrote:

Usually my internet service is fine; but, occasionally it will be very slow (essentially unusable).  The past couple days it has been VERY slow and unusable.  I have tried restarting the computer and internet/router many times to no avail.

Hi you can follow the below steps to increase your internet speed
1)Delete all cookies and temporary files.
2)Use different browser. Because normally some browser enabled javascript
and flash video ,so the webpages is loaded very slow.So you can try  it
different browser.
3)Virus,malwares is also another important thing it will make a slow connection.
So use a good antivirus software to remove all virus and malwares .

4)You can try to close unwanted applications

Finally go to this site Scanmyspeed.com then check your internet speed it will  definitely works very fast