Re: Mac Mail problem
stevepgh

I had this same problem, and just resolved it by editing each account, selecting the "Advanced" section, and changing the Authentication setting from "Authenticated POP (APOP)" to "Password".  Since then I've not had a rejected password.  Hopefully it sticks.

0 Likes
stevepgh
..oh, and BTW, I'm on FIOS
0 Likes
brc9876

It sounds like stevepgh has it right.  See this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8499080

I don't know if it was set to "password" originally and somehow we all got switched to "APOP" or if it had always been "APOP" and for some reason "APOP" is no longer a valid option.  In any case, switching to password authentication seems to work.

Thanks, stevepgh!

0 Likes
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

See the thread in the FiOS Internet Forum "Email authentication problem on only some of Verizon's servers" -- it's not a DSL or FiOS problem, it's a server authentication problem.

For Mac Mail, the  suggested technique of setting the Authentication to "Password" works, but it's a workaround, not a solution.  Better yet (more secure) is to use the "MD5" setting -- see the thread above for the details.

cheers,

jerry

0 Likes
shadowvine

Ahhhhhhh! Ok add me to the unhappy group of Mac users who suddenly cant check email. Not just the verizon email but the yahoo email I just linked is now no longer accessible either. This is absolutely unacceptable! This is interfering with work now.

And I have seen no helpful moderator response here. I am beyond disappointed in Verizon for ignoring this issue. I can not even get somewhere to unlink these accounts because you have to log in and it wont login anywhere under either account now. If it was just my verizon account that verizon killed I could live with it, but now it has crept outside their box and I am soooo ticked!

I am a DSL customer in Virginia by the way. And passwords is not the answer, I was in yahoo just fine before I linked these accounts, and verizon email opened up with me logged in until I logged out to check yahoo. Now I can't get in to either. It doesnt even say password error, it just flips back to the login screen.  

Message Edited by shadowvine on 12-03-2008 07:55 AM
 Oh! And I can't get to support because you have to login and I cant and live chat is of course no where to be found, but I am sure I would have to login for that too! And I really dont feel like spending half my day on hold trying to get help by phone! Why doesn't it just WORK like it is supposed to? I just want to unlink these @(*&$% accounts.  
Message Edited by shadowvine on 12-03-2008 07:57 AM
 And one last note here - I am not accessing email through my Mac mail client, I am just trying to go thru the web 
Message Edited by shadowvine on 12-03-2008 08:01 AM
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
Ok Everyone please PM me your Usernames that are having this problem please and in that PM say what your service is whether or not its DSL or dialup or Fios.
0 Likes
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think that Verizon has fixed the server-specific mail-check authentication problem.  See my 12-04-2008 posting in

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=1018

0 Likes