Melted Westell 7500 modem
alanaspa

So I'm looking for a replacement router/modem/wireless gateway (whatever it technically is) for my Westell 7500. Today I was at my desk using the computer when I started to smell an electrical burning. I checked around and saw smoke coming from the back of the modem. I unplugged it and the port and ethernet cable were melted and the actual wire was very hot. Thank goodness I was right there. So now I need a replacement and I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything. 

0 Likes
Re: Melted Westell 7500 modem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anything that is ADSL2+ capable is absolutely fine to use as a replacement. If you'd like, ask Verizon to send you another gateway since they do stock newer D-Link gateways. Away from that if you'd like a more manual but more powerful setup get a separate DSL modem, perhaps a Westell 6100 from Verizon or a D-Link modem from an Online store and then pick up any router you'd like to use from a store or one you have laying around.

Is the Westell 7500 you have still operating right now Wirelessly? I'd check to make sure the computer is okay too, if the cable was hot. Voltage was definitely getting to places it shouldn't be getting to.

0 Likes