click Network Connections on the left menu
click "Broadband Connection (DSL)" on the main screen
make Protocol say "bridge"
make bridge mode say "bridge"
save

click the My Network icon on the top menu
click Network Connections on the left menu
click "LAN" on the main screen
remove the top checkmark (Private LAN DHCP Server Enable)
save

I am trying to bridge my router to my modem, so I can use port forwarding. After I make changes to my modem I reset it, and then change my routers connection type to PPPoE and enter my login deatils, then I go to MAC Address Clone and enter my modems MAc address. After this port forwarding works, but my whole internet stops working after about five minutes. Can anyone please help me fix my Bridge, I really need to be able to port forward.

0 Likes
Re: Modem Bridge Breaks Internet
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

YOu don't bridge it through your operating system...YOu have to set it up within the modem itself.

go to internet explorer and type 192.168.1.1 in the address line

to asccess the modem the user name is usually: admin

the password is usually :  password   or password1

go to configuration and select vc configuration...it's there you set up the bridge I believe...

YOu will disable the ppoe there and enable the bridge

Next you will have to set up your router for ppoe with the user name and password for your account

Wellington
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but the steps I took were from inside the modem and not from my operating system.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

It's ok...that was the instructions for the 6100.  I have to ask, is this your post on dslreports.com?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20936972-Router-to-use-for-westell-6100F

Even if it's not, one suggestion they gave....i've done it here....change the default address of the linksys to something other than 192.168.1.1

for instance on my setup page I set up my router for 192.168.3.1

You will also see a line that says automatic Configuration DHCP....it's there you will change it to PPPoe...then enter in your user name apd password to access your verizon account

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You need to check the KEEP ALIVE button on the first page of the linksys and save your settings. That should fix the issue you are having.
0 Likes
Wellington

To clear alot of things up I will post more in depth about my configuration.

My modem ip is 192.168.1.1
My rotuer ip is 192.168.2.1

After setting up the modem correctly I make the Connection type on my router to PPPoE, enter my logins, and the KEEP ALIVE checkbox is already enabled by default for me. After this I go to MAC Address Clone and enter in my modems MAC address. In status I have to click connect and the connection stays on for a few mins and never comes back. I hope this information will get right to my problem without having to suggest multiple things.

Sorry for any confusion

-Shane Wellington

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are PPPoE you shouldn't have to clone you MAC address.
0 Likes
Wellington
I think that is where my problem is, I have tried it without cloning the MAC and it won't turn on at all
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Are you sure your PPPoE and not DHCP? What state do you live in?
0 Likes
Wellington
I live in Jefferson, Ohio
0 Likes