Modem direct to PC w/Ethernet
wrighth

I can't get my Wirespeed 2100 DSL modem to connect directly to my PC using Ethernet. It works fine when I connect the PC to a router and then to the modem, but I want to eliminate the router.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Modem direct to PC w/Ethernet
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I am just wondering. Why would you like to do that for?

#2 You are making us shoot into the dark. It would help to know what the brand and model of this router is.

0 Likes
wrighth

Thanks for the reply.

I have a PC next to my DSL Westell modem,  I have been using a wireless router, but the wireless signal isn't reaching the other end of the house where I have a laptop.  I want to move the wireless modem to the other end of the house, which I will do with long wires, etc., but I want to be able to get I'net access through the modem still in place.  I have a Linksys switch/hub Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast® 5-Port 10/100 Switch that I want to use at the PC, thinking I can plug the PC and the DSL modem and the connecting cable (to the other end of the house) into the switch.  I tested the direct PC to modem idea first, and it won't connect.

Perhaps I should be using a router (with wireless turned off, perhaps)at the PC, and toss the switch, and daisy chain the two routers.

What say you?

The router I already have is a Linksys wrt310N.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let us try this..

#1 In the Linksys go to Status -> Router.

#2 If in there you do not see the |P Address at http://www.whatismyip.com/

then when disconnect your computer from the Linksys and connect it to the modem: Release and renew the IP Address on your computer.

This means for example, if on Windows XP....

a) Go to Start ->

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /release and press enter to release. Then type in ipconfig /renew and press enter to renew.

^^

#3 Otherwise, your modem is:

a) A dumb modem

b) Or a modem combo.

---

What is the exact model number of it? For example B90-210015-04

http://www.dsldepot.com/dslModem.asp?modem=6

0 Likes