Modem wireless puzzle
Anthona
Before signing on as a member with Verizon, I had wireless hookup via my personal router. Now, I think I was told that this modem that Verizon charged me for, said It has the benefit of a wireless also...no explanation how this comes about...so by trial and error I unplugged my ethernet cable from the verizon modem and could not make contact with my laptop. My modem is connected to my desktop. When I replugged the cable from my personal router to Verizon's modem, than I was able to make contact wirelessly to my laptop...at least in my home. So, where does the benefit of wirless modem from verizon take over? I would like to know if I could just not need my router anymore.
0 Likes
Re: Modem wireless puzzle
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Verizon's modem is a modem/router. You only need 1 router otherwise you will double NAT using both routers. Remove your router and use the Verizon modem/router only.
0 Likes
Anthona
I did remove my router connection and couldn't get on my laptop. I said so in my OP. Then I replugged into verizon with my router and was able to get on my laptop...If i do not need my router, how does one set up the verizon modem/router to be wireless connected to my laptop?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You have to setup your computer with the new SSID and WEP key so that you can connect wirelessly.
0 Likes
nidahobum

I cannot connect with my laptop to my Verizon gateway (modem/router), either. I have entered the WEP and SSID and it still doesn't work. The laptop is new. I've also tried to use the wireless capabilities on my Verizon Westell Versalink 327w modem/router w/ wireless. This works for two wireless Xbox 360's in the house as well as by ethernet for the family computer but will not work wireless for the laptop (the laptop connects to the internet if we use the ethernet cable)

The laptop will not connect to the Westell Versalink 327w whether we use the WEP feature or leave it open.

0 Likes