Moving from home+DSL to DSL only?
rwriglet

Hi all,

I have a home line and DSL combo from Verizon, and now want to move to "Naked DSL", and get my telephone service through Vonage.  From what I can tell, Verizon has a $19.99 DSL only option, but what I was told on the phone when I called Verizon was that I would first have to cancel my account first (which would take ~10 days) and then sign-up for the DSL only plans.  It would be inconvenient to be without home telephone service and DSL for those 10 days, so wanted to check if anyone on this forum has had success exploring any other options.  Also, since I want to keep my number, any ideas on when I should transfer it to Vonage?

Thanks,

-RW

0 Likes
Re: Moving from home+DSL to DSL only?
rwriglet

OP here again.  Did some more digging, and this seems to be the cleanest way  move:

1. Convert DSL billing to credit card - appears that I will loose my "bundling discount" - not sure what that is though. 

2. Port the number. You do not need to tell Verizon. If you do, and they cancel your phone service before the port, you may lose your number.

3. When the number ports, Verizon will automatically convert you to dry loop with no interruption in service - again, not sure what rate they will charge - I currently pay $14.99 for DSL, no contract.

Anyone here have success with this move?

0 Likes
Re: Moving from home+DSL to DSL only?
randym77
The bundling discount is the discount you get for ordering multiple services together (phone, Internet, and TV, say). I converted to naked DSL about a year ago. I did not port my old number, but it's still the number assigned to my account (the naked DSL line apparently has a number, and it's the same one). I have to give it to them every time I call about my account (for tech support, etc.) I called them and told them I wanted to go dry-loop, and they did it. No problem, no interruption of service. (I set up my Ooma first.)
0 Likes