My DSL speed
Trev2491
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm trying to figure out why at my location according to the verizon techs, I can't have a DSL speed faster then 1.1 to 3 mbs. They have told me that is the max speed my line can handle, I'm just curious if anyone can fill me in to why my speed is stuck to that.
0 Likes
Re: My DSL speed
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

DSL is a technology that allows the existing telephone line to coexist with the internet by using the unused frequencies of our human hearing levels. The telephone has limitations as to how far from the Central Office it will work. The maximum distance for DSL is approximately 18,000 feet. Therefore the farther away from the Central Office you are the slower your DSL speeds. Based on what the technician told you I would say you are over 10,000 feet away from the Central Office.

0 Likes
Trev2491
Enthusiast - Level 2
So more or less im **bleep**? Haha
0 Likes
Trev2491
Enthusiast - Level 2
Figured I would post my stats..

Broadband Parameter Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 11H:44M:6S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 0
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 28 dB
SNR Upstream : 16 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 2 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 1 dB
Power Downstream -2.1 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Your SNR suggests that you are much closer than the technician suggested. It looks like your line could support a fast tier of service. You want the SNR to stay above 10 or you will begin to drop the connection.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That line should work great with 7.1Mbps and FastPath. It's possible you're on gear Verizon has capped at 3Mbps for the max provisioning. Could be for any number of reasons, usually due to congestion concerns. Try pushing them to get someone in engineering to quality you for more than 3Mbps.

Trev2491
Enthusiast - Level 2
It seems like every rep I've talked to is just feeding me the same lines, that's my max speed, there is nothing they can do, wait for fios, blah blah blah. Is it just a matter of talking to the right person or what ?
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pretty much. Most of the time what is said to be the max speed of line is what is in the qualification database. In my case, 3Mbps was the case for the longest time even though the equipment was certified by Verizon to handle speeds higher than 3Mbps.

Most people are able to request an engineering ticket to be put in to have the qualification database updated. In most cases if your line can do more they will update it to reflect a higher speed such as 7.1Mbps, or 10Mbps-15Mbps (if ADSL2+ is available).

Now if FiOS is available, that will be the next step. Verizon does not want to invest any more time and effort into DSL if the FiOS network is around. In most cases if cost is keeping you away, you can talk Verizon into giving you a 5Mbps/2Mbps FiOS package that is unadvertised. It runs for the same price as the DSL, and that would also give you an upgrade path to a higher speed if you so desire in the future.

0 Likes