My New Service is Giving Me Dial-Up Speed: Slowly
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi everyone,

(I'm using a virus-spyware free Dell PC)

I am a new Verizon DSL sign-up--graduating from dial-up, and since the beginning of my new service, I have noticed that Verizon is not much faster than my dialup. I have been frustrated with its slowness.

The monthly plan I signed-up for with Verizon is for “768 Kbps/128 Kbps (21 X faster than dialup).”

Well, yesterday, I ran speed tests with areas close to me geographically,

from two different web sites, including Speedtest.net and here are the results:

Speedtest.net= 27 Kbps download speed

334 Kbps upload speed

An other site=26 Kbps download

350 Kbps upload

Is this what is expected?  ---Dale
0 Likes
Re: My New Service is Giving Me Dial-Up Speed: Slowly
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
There are a few things that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Have you ran a spyware scan?

2. Virus protection software change?

3. Has a defrag been tried?....Another user defragged their computer recently after they were getting slow page loads and now works fine. They also cleared their cache and temp internet files as well.
0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks very much  for your response, but as the original post states, I am using a virus and Spyware clean PC and have run a defrag and no dice.

Would you be happy with that speed, coming from dialup??

---Dale Ingham

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The performance of DSL is very sensitive to the quality and length of the copper pair between you and the central office.

What you really need to do is look at what the DSL modem is telling you, which you can get to by connecting to it at http://192.168.1.1  and see what it says about the negotiated DSL rate and uplink and downlink losses. I moved the FiOS in part because when I upgraded to the 3mb/768kb service, I discovered I couldn't get it. The losses on the copper pair were too high. I got to pay for it, and I could tell the weather from the link speeds.... It was faster than 768/128, but well short of the 3mb/768 it was supposed to be. So you need to look at what rate the DSL modem has been able to negotiate the link at.

If it 768/128 should negotiate as something like 840/160 if you are going to get 768/128. If the negotiated rates are well below that, your copper pair just won't support anything faster. Your only choices for higher speed at that point are Cable (Cox/Comcast etc), or Verizon FiOS if available.

Fortunately FiOS is pretty much an all or nothing service. If you pay for 20/5 service, that's what you are going to get, because it either works or it doesn't. The highest rate the fiber optic link will support is actually far faster than any rate offered by Verizon FiOS.

Hope that helps

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Dale,

Those level are way below what they should be at.  I sent you a private message...

0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Couple of questions: 

Someone help me understand these numbers:

Under the plan of  “768 Kbps/128 Kbps,” what can the subscriber realistically expect download speeds to be or what should they be?

In other words, would a download speed between 120 Kbps to 140 Kbps be what I'm paying for?

Just give me a ballpark download speed I should be getting.

My math may be a bit shaky, so is that 128 Kbps 21 times faster than typical dialup--as Verizon suggests in their

"up to 21X faster than dialup" language?

Thanks---

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

When I had 768/128, my modem/router showed a negotiated speed of 840/160kb IIRC, and speed tests showed I pretty routinely achieved a 768kb downlink. Uplink tended to be much more troublesome, but I've always attributed that to external issues (servers, network congestion and site capacity constraints. I have no reason to believe that the effective speed wasn't at least 768/128 k bits per second.

My main use of the uplink was FTP, and frankly, none of the web servers I was working with placed a lot of emphasis on FTP service. For larger files, the downlink was generally pretty close to the promised 768K bits per second.

This is not very demanding on the copper pair from you to the CO, so unless your copper pair is in really bad shape, should get the promised performance. BTW, I discovered that I went to the 3m/768k, the copper pair really was a problem, and in bad weather, the negotiated downlink often fall to about 2 million bits per second, and if I could hear thunder, my DSL service was down. I got rid of the weather related performance problems and copper pair issues by going to FIOS.

I have a 20/5 connection, that measures as about 19.2/5.7 million bits per second, and it doesn't seem to care about the weather, or thunder.

Message Edited by mattheww50 on 02-23-2009 11:11 AM
0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so just sure I'm understanding you:

The 768 Kbps number is the DOWNLOAD speed I should ideally be getting close to?

I was under the false impression that the 128 number was the download speed and 768 the upload speed.

I ask because I'm currently getting:

27 Kbps download speed

334 Kbps upload speed

That accounts for my frustration, but I soon hope to solve this issue.

More later as the saga continues.

0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

A Verizon tecnician discovered two weeks ago that I was not getting my correct speed because of the long extension I was using from the third floor phone jack to the second floor room where my PC is.

I had two "Y" adapters running that chord length too.

Anyway, this morning, at his suggestion of two weeks ago, I had a dedicated line installed from the outside terminal box

directly to my PC. Unfortunately the technician didn't have a speed tester with him, which BOGGLES my mind.

I am now getting a download speed of 165 and am about ready to pull the hair out; I will get satisfaction out of this somehow.

We know I am getting the proper speed to my house, but from that terminal box on my house to my PC (even now with a dedicated line),

I am getting slower speed than I'm paying for (which is

768 Kbps/128)

---Dale

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Dale,

Did he install a filter in the box outside to seperate the house wires from the modem wire?

0 Likes