My high speed internet connection has gotten really slow.
Kepler
I've tried rebooting, but that does not help.  Is there anything else I can try?
0 Likes
Re: My high speed internet connection has gotten really slow.
thoff
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are lots of variables.  So more info from you would be helpful.  

The problem could be on your PC

What Operating system are you running (Windows XP?, Vista?)? Are other things on your pc slow?  What does Task Manager say?

The problem could be between your PC and your router. 

Are you connected to the FIOS router wirelessly? If wirelessly, how good is your signal? Have you tried plugging into the router?

What else is using bandwidth on your network?  Are you running bittorrent? Any other file sharing going on (Kazaa, Limewire)? Have you done a virus and spyware scan? 

Try going to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test your bandwidth.  I get about 20,000 kbps down and 4,500 kbps up.

Also try going to http://visualroute.visualware.com/index.html and click the "test" button.  This will grapically map your path from your machine to the visualware server (or any other server address you enter).  It'll tell you if there are any problems with the network.  Here are my results:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VisualRoute Connection Test to 71.187.***.***
Performed on 1 Aug 2008 17:28:18 GMT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Hop | %loss | IP Address      | Node Name                                  | Location            | ms | Graph      | Network                                     |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 0   | 0     | 205.234.111.204 | DTG311.visualware.com                      | Ashburn, VA, USA?   | -  |            | Defender Technologies Group  LLC DEFENDER-1 |
| 1   | 0     | 205.234.111.129 | r03-8.iad.defenderhosting.com              | Washington, DC, USA | 0  | +          | Defender Technologies Group  LLC DEFENDER-1 |
| 2   | 0     | 69.65.112.25    | r01.iad.defenderhosting.com                | Washington, DC, USA | 0  | +          | Defender Technologies Group  LLC DEFENDER-1 |
| 3   | 0     | 208.111.133.114 | -                                          | Tempe, AZ, USA?     | 0  | +          | Limelight Networks  Inc. LLNW-3             |
| 4   | 0     | 208.111.133.113 | tge12-4.fr4.iad.llnw.net                   | Washington, DC, USA | 0  | +--        | Limelight Networks  Inc. LLNW-3             |
| 5   | 0     | 69.28.156.206   | verizon.tge10-4.iad.llnw.net               | Washington, DC, USA | 1  | +--------  | Limelight Networks  Inc. LLNW-1             |
| 6   | 0     | 130.81.17.196   | -                                          | Reston, VA, USA?    | 3  | +--        | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VZGNI-PUB-7  |
| 7   | 0     | 130.81.17.2     | -                                          | Reston, VA, USA?    | 11 |    +------ | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VZGNI-PUB-7  |
| 8   | 0     | 130.81.19.57    | so-0-2-0-0.BB-RTR1.NWRK.verizon-gni.net    | Newark, NJ, USA     | 11 |    +       | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VZGNI-PUB-7  |
| 9   | 0     | 130.81.29.193   | P15-0-0.LCR-03.NWRKNJ.verizon-gni.net      | Newark, NJ, USA     | 11 |    +       | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VZGNI-PUB-7  |
| 10  | 0     | 130.81.246.45   | L1.VFTTP-39.NWRKNJ.verizon-gni.net         | Newark, NJ, USA     | 13 |     +      | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VZGNI-PUB-7  |
| 11  | 0     | 71.187.***.***  | pool-71-187-***-**.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net | Reston, VA, USA?    | 19 |      +-    | Verizon Internet Services Inc. VIS-BLOCK    |

Most likely, the issue is somewhere between your pc and your router.  This will at least help you to eliminate the slim possiblity that it's a network problem outside yours.

Lastly, you can go to http://www.dslreports.com and look under tools for helpful bandwidth-testing tools.  The forum there is very good too.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Kepler

wow.  Didn't know all those things...  I'll just start at the top of your reply and work my way down.  I'll be back to let you know how it went.  ty thoff

0 Likes
JohnA
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Are you connected to the FIOS router wirelessly?"

I don't see where he said he's on FIOS.

0 Likes
jaacee
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have found often that just powering down the router and powering it back on after about a minute will help to recover the speed issue.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have FIOS or DSL? Whay speed are you getting from your speedtest?

0 Likes
foofyo
I just got off the phone with tech support about a slow connection and during the process of the call i ended up reinstalling Java. The speed problem went away immedialty, the strange thing is that after the call i went back and iabled Java's auto update the slowdown happen again. i turned it back on and I got full speed again. It might be worth looking into if you have normally high speeds.
0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes.  Telelphone Verizon Tech Support and have them check out your line and modem.

They have the capability to see if the problem is with the DSL line or your modem or both.

Their telephone number is:  800-567-6789

0 Likes