Re: Need help with slow DSL Speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your log is showing what would be the remote management software running on the modem, which Verizon uses to log into your modem to perform tasks such as Technical support and firmware upgrades. Other than that, it isn't showing anything useful. If that's the complete log from the "All" category, then I suppose that would really be it in that perspective.

So as to the speeds, those sync rates suggest that your line for some reason was lowered in speed under Verizon's Optimization system. Your margins are very high and attenuation is good, so I don't see a reason as to why it was optimized unless it ran at a time where there was a noise spike. Again, without having a complete set of logs, I can't say for sure. The Optimization System runs once every few weeks it seems, so it should turn the speed back up to normal rates if the line remains stable. Additionally, what might bypass the wait all together is to ask Verizon (Billing Department) to upgrade your line profile from the 768kbps/128kbps profile to the 1Mbps/384kbps profile, as they fall within the same plan and will not cost you anything more.

hcrockville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your log is showing what would be the remote management software running on the modem, which Verizon uses to log into your modem to perform tasks such as Technical support and firmware upgrades. Other than that, it isn't showing anything useful. If that's the complete log from the "All" category, then I suppose that would really be it in that perspective.

It was the "all" category from which I took the stats.  I will try again after I reset the modem to not being a bridge and letting it run for a day or so

So as to the speeds, those sync rates suggest that your line for some reason was lowered in speed under Verizon's Optimization system. Your margins are very high and attenuation is good, so I don't see a reason as to why it was optimized unless it ran at a time where there was a noise spike. Again, without having a complete set of logs, I can't say for sure. The Optimization System runs once every few weeks it seems, so it should turn the speed back up to normal rates if the line remains stable. Additionally, what might bypass the wait all together is to ask Verizon (Billing Department) to upgrade your line profile from the 768kbps/128kbps profile to the 1Mbps/384kbps profile, as they fall within the same plan and will not cost you anything more.

Spoke with Verizon last night. They said that my 440kbps falls in their acceptable limits for throughput, for which that has been the steady value so far since the new modem was installed. Do I have any leg to stand on that I should have to accept a 40% degradation off a plan?

Verizon is upgrading me to the 1Mbps/384kbps as you suggested (actually cheaper than what I am paying right now by $2 per month). I will check the throughputs once I see that occuring and report back.

techmessiah
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

-The modem that you have (Westell 2100) is a bridge modem with an IP address of 169.xx.x.xxx and hence you wont be able to access the modem page, but the router page only.

-Check speedtest.net to check your download and upload speeds.

-Swapping ends of the grey cable (RJ11) connecting your modem to the wall jack, while the modem is off, helps to increase speeds.

-If you have phone service also from verizon, unplug all phone lines from the jacks and check speed

-if all these steps to not work, call verizon and set up appointment for technician visit

-they will ask you to do all these steps, just talk and act like you ARE doing these steps (verizon has very strict policies about sending out technicians without troubleshooting and reps are heavily marked down if caught sending techs to customers without troubleshooting)

-Tech will come to your service address within usually 24-48 hrs.