New ADSL2+ Modem Only Connects in Old ADSL Mode
jimmyboor

I upgraded my old ADSL modem to a new ADSL2+ modem. My new modem is still connecting using ADSL (G.dmt) instead of ADSL2+. Is there something I need to do to get the Verizon end of the connection to use ADSL2+?

0 Likes
Re: New ADSL2+ Modem Only Connects in Old ADSL Mode
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

Nope, if if could handle ADSL2+ it would have switched.  Verizon likely hasn't changed to ADSL2+ in your area.

0 Likes
jimmyboor

That's what I figured. I'll try tech support to see if there's any chance I can get switched to a newer DSLAM, but I'm guessing the answer will be "no". Thanks!

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

What speed do you currently have?  unless you have 7.1-15, ADSL2+ isn't necessary.

0 Likes
jimmyboor

I'm supposed to be on a 7.1-15 Mbps plan. I'm only getting 3.36 Mbps down, but my attenuation is low (23.5 dB) and SNR margin is high (29 dB) so I think I would get more speed from ADSL2+:

Downlink Parameters:

SNR Margin:  29.0 db
Line Attenuation:  23.5 db
Data Rate:  3360 kbps
Max Rate:  9472 kbps
POWER:  19.0 dbm
CRC:  0

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

That's definitely not the 7.1-15 sync speeds.  You should go to DSLReports.com and look at the "Verizon Direct" forum.  You have to create a log in, but you can post on there and deal directly with customer service.  Looks like you have a "profile mismatch" since you're not syncing at the speed you're supposed to be.

0 Likes