New D-Link router won't connect to DirecTV cinema kit
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got & installed a new D-link DSL 2750B yesterday. I set it up with my existing SSID & WPA passcode -- all my devices work perfectly, EXCEPT my DirecTV cinema kit which is a wireless receiver. IT was fine until the new setup. I spent ( so far ) over 5 hours trying to set this up. The DirecTV techs ( 2 ) I spoke with don't have a clue. I reset everything multiple times to no avail.  The DirecTV forums list several resetting steps, all of which i tried. Nothing. If anyone has any clue as to what i can try, I'd certainly appreciate the help. The router didn't come with any manual and I'm not too comfortable changing any settings other than the security mode ( WPA, etc ) without some guidance.Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: New D-Link router won't connect to DirecTV cinema kit
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's some things to try:

If the security is set to WPA/WPA2 Mixed mode, set it to be WPA2-PSK AES only. You can keep your key the same so that most devices can re-connect themselves automatically.

Additionally, check out the Advanced Wireless settings for adjusting the performance mode of the Wireless. I don't know off the top of my head what the D-Links use, but if you see a setting for Wireless B, Wireless G, Wireless N, or Mixed mode, that's what I'm looking for. See if changing that setting to Wireless G/N only, or Wireless G helps.

0 Likes
WearyConsumer

Bottom Line: If you have a Dlink DSL2750b from Verizon and are trying to install DirectTV cinema connection STOP RIGHT NOW and save youself the five hours I just spent learning that the two are simply incompatible.

For some reason no one at DirecTV knew this and put me though endless paces to no avail, including a change to my router password that now means I have to reconnect all of my devices.

Once I learned in DirectTV forums that this Dlink modem router is incompatible with DirectTV I called Verizon and the tech agent said, "Oh yes that one is incompatible with DirecTV." And he cheerfully ordered a free replacement, the Actiontec GT784WNV, which I haven't gotten yet but was promised it will be fine.

Two Questions:

1) For DirecTV, why in the world isn't this a known issue for your tech team so that they don't have to belabor consumers with hours of troubleshooting that does no good.

2) Most importantly, for Verizon, why in the world do you even send out a modem that isn't compatible with the growing use of internet connection equipment for TVs? Or at least tell us before we order them.

0 Likes
Texpack
Thanks for posting the information about the incompatible router. Neither DirecTV or Verizon was aware of this issue. Verizon tech support was clueless and the sales person I got shuffled off to was just rude. I'm restarting my search for another ISP
0 Likes
land3
Spoiler

I wish I had the same outcome.  I attempted to exchange my DLink for a different model, and was assured that the new modem would do the trick.  The box arrived today, and voila, the sent me the exact same incompatible-with-DirecTV modem!  I've clearly lost faith in the competence of Verizon employees by this time.  So, when I call to explain the problem, I am told that the DLink moden is the ONLY modem that Verizon sends its customers now. 

The operator then tells me that I can go to a Verizon store, purchase a modem myself, and then by some form of magic, the Verizon billing department will reimburse me.  Yeah, right.  It will be easier to shop for a different service provider.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
LarryA3
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are attempting to connect to a wireless genie or secondary hookup ..you cannot connect or make any changes.Your main connection sets all the info for the setup..

Larry

0 Likes