New home but no apparent VZ internet services
unixfool

I checked on the Verizon site to see if I can purchase internet services at my new home.  Apparently, I can't (no internet service in the area).

What's strange is that there's a DSL box mounted on the outside of my home with 'Verizon' stamped onto it.

The home is 4 yrs old, so I can understand if services haven't been made available yet...but what's the deal with the DSL box already mounted.  Pre-staging?

0 Likes
Re: New home but no apparent VZ internet services
MoonMan

I went through a similar issue.  On-line Verizon's web site said DSL was not available at my address.  I called repair after a tree took out our phone line and got to talking with the repair man.  When I asked him about DSL here, he thought for a moment and then said yes we should be able to get DSL.  A telephone call to Verizon got our DSL ordered and installed with no problem.

We're about 12 miles from the city associated with our exchange.  However there is a remote switch close to our location.  My thought is that the Verizon web site looks at your location and the distance to the city associated with your exchange to determine if DSL is available at your address.  It doesn't seem to take into account such things as remote switches.  IMHO.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The box outside that says Verizon on it is a NID (Network Interface Device). Just because you have a NID outside does not automatically qualify you for DSL service. You must be 18,000ft or less from the C.O. on straight copper to get DSL service. If you are farther than that you can only get DSL service if a remote terminal is provisioned for DSL.
0 Likes
brinsf111

Call the local office.  It is most likely available.  I wouldn't trust the website, it says I don't have access yet I used to have it about 2.5 years ago before I switch to cable (only because I was tired of waiting for FIOS).  I check back ever so often to see if FIOS is here yet, still nothing though I believe it is getting closer.

0 Likes