No DSL in my area? Really?
bakerbri

Hi,

I am interested in getting Verizon DSL.  I live in a major metropolitan area, and some friends 2 blocks down just moved to VZ DSL.  However, the website says that I don't currently have DSL capability (dial up only!).  I called VZ and the woman was very nice, but after taking down my information and saying that her computer said "inconclusive" she started to input a service date for install and then said that "NOW it says you can only get dial-up."  I am very confused for two reasons: 1st, it obviously wasn't a simple "no-dsl-available" situation because it came back as "inconclusive" at first, 2nd, how is it that I live in a major major metro area serviced by VZ (Northern NJ) and my neighbors down the street can get DSL but not me?  Could it have to do with the house I live in (one floor rental)?  Could the house itself not be wired for DSL? (It has a phone jack, though I have no service hooked up to it) Is there anyone I can call that ISN't a sales rep that can actually tell me what the issue is?  ping my phone line to check?  Anything?!  I can't take cablevision anymore!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: No DSL in my area? Really?
EEEEEE
Enthusiast - Level 3

DSL's signal strength degrades based on distance.  You need to be within 18,000 feet of the central office in order for the signal to be strong enough to work.  And that 18,000 feet isn't straight line distance, it's the actual wire from the CO to your house, so it could wind around the neighborhood before it gets to you.  Another thing that could affect you is if there is any type of fiber-optic connections between the office and you, this will also prevent you from getting DSL.  The DSL signal doesn't work over fiber, just copper.  At least, that is how it used to be...But there are a number of factors that can prevent you from having it while a neighbor 2 blocks away CAN.  What you might want to do is check with your neighbors on the same side of the street as you.  See if any of them have DSL.  If they do, call Verizon back with your neighbor's phone number (or address if they don't have phone) and ask if they can check again.