No DSL or FIOS available...WHY?!!?
BLD4

I recently retired and never had internet in my home. I got a laptop and router for a retirement present and called Monday to schedule the hookup.  I was looking forward to using the computer, setting up wi-fi, and finally putting the smart TV I bought to use.  That is where the nightmare began... I was first told that no DSL or FIOS was available at my address, but I could get dial up (which is not even offered anymore).  I live in a condo community and have been there 11 years, and its in town.  I called back later and it was explained that there is too much demand on the network and that she could possibly request to add 1 more, and that never worked either.  Today, I was told that NO ONE was getting DSL because they were switching everyone to FIOS at some point, some time.  That is unacceptable! I have had Verizon phone service for 37 years (the same number) and in 2014, a world of computers and internet, I can't have internet in my home!! Why hasn't the infrastructure been maintained or upgraded? Does anyone have any ideasor thoughts? I'm very close to telling Verizon where to go and find phone and internet elsewhere.  I'm in Lakeland FL 33813.

0 Likes
Re: No DSL or FIOS available...WHY?!!?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there anyone immediately nearby your condo with DSL or even FiOS? Condos can sometimes be a bit of trouble with getting services like FiOS, since HOAs or landlords often refuse Verizon access to the buildings for service installation. DSL shouldn't be so much of an issue, but Verizon really doesn't want to sell that in FiOS areas anymore.

Is a Cable company (Brighthouse?) available for service? What about trying DSL Resellers?

0 Likes
Re: No DSL or FIOS available...WHY?!!?
BLD4

I finally was able to get service thru Brighthouse...cable internet.  Had it since last Friday and it seems to work great.  But for now it has to work, as its the ONLY company that could provide service.

0 Likes