No Wi-Fi
JasonLee1

Hey, all. Verizon sent me an Actiontec GT784WNV router. It works fine when connect it to my computer with ethernet but when I plug it in to my AirPort Express it is unable to provide a Wi-Fi signal. I understand the Actiontec has builtin wireless but I'd rather use my AirPort Express for Wi-Fi. Strangely, my old Westell modem works perfectly with AirPort but that modem creates a loud hiss on the phone line. 

Can anyone help me?

0 Likes
Re: No Wi-Fi
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

About that load hiss:

Make sure you have DSL Filters connected to each of the devices that are connected to the phone line BUT not the DSL modem,

I point you to http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_purpose_of_DSL_filters_on_phone_jacks_in_your_house

0 Likes
JasonLee1

Yeah, the filters are properly installed. Verizon tech support said the hiss is caused by the modem and that the new modem would work better and it does. No hiss. But now I have no Wi-Fi.

I tried the Wi-Fi on the Actiontec and it's dial-up slow, which why I prefer AirPort Express. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the model of your old Westell modem? The AirPort Express might be trying to use PPPoE rather than DHCP to connect to the ActionTec. If the ActionTec is not bridged and the AirPort was configured to make a PPPoE connection with your old Westell modem, that will stop things from working as Verizon only allows one PPPoE login per connection on Residential.

0 Likes