Not getting 7Mbps
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

On the one hand, I am glad to hear so many people are having exactly the same problems with Verizon Internet as I have been having for the "past four years"!!!! I pay almost $90/month for getting 0.768Mbps instead of the 7Mbps that I am supposed to get. They tell me my neighbourhood does not allow faster internet. Well, I live 15 minutes from the US Capitol and four blocks from Verizon. If I can't get good Internet in the heart of the United States, where else should I go??

Anyway, I am not going to repeat all the details of my ordeal with Verizon that have already been said here by other people. After hours of phone conversations, three technicians... etc etc... and with my problem continuing, I am a bit lost as to what to do next. I filed a complaint with the FCC.. should I now consider legal action? I work from home and not having high speed Internet is starting to have an effect. Any suggestions welcome!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow High Speed Internet 1mbps instead of 4 to 7
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612: Thank you for your message. I apologize, I am new to this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@piba wrote:

On the one hand, I am glad to hear so many people are having exactly the same problems with Verizon Internet as I have been having for the "past four years"!!!! I pay almost $90/month for getting 0.768Mbps instead of the 7Mbps that I am supposed to get. They tell me my neighbourhood does not allow faster internet. Well, I live 15 minutes from the US Capitol and four blocks from Verizon. If I can't get good Internet in the heart of the United States, where else should I go??

Anyway, I am not going to repeat all the details of my ordeal with Verizon that have already been said here by other people. After hours of phone conversations, three technicians... etc etc... and with my problem continuing, I am a bit lost as to what to do next. I filed a complaint with the FCC.. should I now consider legal action? I work from home and not having high speed Internet is starting to have an effect. Any suggestions welcome!!!

1: A Speed Test during the morning hours (10AM) and during evening hours (7PM).

2: Your modem's Transceiver Statistics. There are guides online that can tell you how to get them, or I can tell you how to get them if you're unsure. Just list what model modem you have in this case.

3: When the slow speeds typically occur (All the time, During Peak usage periods, aka Night time).

4: Your Operating System

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

1: I will run a Test this evening and tomorrow and will get back to you with results.

2: My modem: Westell-D90-W327...Not sure how to get the Transreceiver Statistics.

3: Slow speeds occurs at all times.

4: Mac OS X 10.6.8

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here go the complete results of my speed Tests as requested (see below for the Morning test first, followed by the Evening test). Like I mentioned earlier, I am not sure how to get the Transreceiver Statistics. Some guidance would be helpful. Thanks. 

Morning

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done

SendBufferSize set to [132480]

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 231.46Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 545.60kb/s

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------

Client Receive Window detected at 524280 bytes.

Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.

Link set to Full Duplex mode

No network congestion discovered.

Good network cable(s) found

Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 200.25 msec; the Packet size = 1440 Bytes; and

There were 11 packets retransmitted, 29 duplicate acks received, and 33 SACK blocks received

The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time

This connection is sender limited 26.13% of the time.

This connection is network limited 73.87% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:

RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON

RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON

RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF

RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON

Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable

Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

EVENING

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [66240]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 178.86Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 557.28kb/s

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 66240 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 419.27 msec; the Packet size = 1440 Bytes; and 
There were 12 packets retransmitted, 136 duplicate acks received, and 141 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 4.09% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (64.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 31.1% of the time.
This connection is network limited 64.81% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

-----------------

1: I will run a Test this evening and tomorrow and will get back to you with results.

2: My modem: Westell-D90-W327...Not sure how to get the Transreceiver Statistics.

3: Slow speeds occurs at all times.

4: Mac OS X 10.6.8

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612: Thank you for your message. I apologize, I am new to this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's all good about missing the post; Not a problem. The speed tests you've posted up do indicate some sort of problem. Seems to be a bit of latency involved and obviously some dipping of speeds during the night.

To get the Transceiver Statistics from the Westell, do the following based on what you see after clicking on this link: http://192.168.1.1/

If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over the Troubleshooting menu and then mouse over DSL. Choose Transceiver Statistics (or DSL Stats), or you can try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm . You should see the Transceiver Statistics page. Paste this information up.

If you see a Verizon branded Red and Black page, click on System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver Statistics. You can also try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm . Paste up the contents of this page for us.

If you are prompted by the Westell for login information, try the following if you haven't already set your own login.

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/modem serial number

Your Verizon Username and Password (for the Master account).

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I followed the steps you suggested. I got the Verizon black and read page and this is the data that came up:

Gateway Status
Software Version:VER:4.04.03.00
Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0
Model Name:D90-327W15-06
Serial Number:07FX09052955
Broadband Connection Status:UP
Broadband IP Address:70.108.38.171
Broadband MAC Address:00:18:3a:fe:29:e2
Broadband Connection Type:PPP
Active Status:5 21:34:20
Configuration:096-900125-04 A
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Advanced Monitors is found in the Left Hand side Navigation on the System Monitoring page. Pressing Yes past the prompt you get about Advanced Users and choosing Transceiver Statistics will get you where I need data from.

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I think I got it:

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:ADSL2+ Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)861156
Margin (dB)31.00.0
Line Attenuation (dB)33.016.0
Transmit Power (dBm)16.511.4
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would be it 🙂 Verizon can do a lot better than that with your line. It should be running at 7Mbps. With a bit of work on the line to isolate noise a bit more, it could probably do 10Mbps. The upload margins aren't being reported for some reason, but you should be able to go to the full 864kbps rate.

I'd get on the phone with them and ask them to rebuild your provisioning profile. When the call is done, it needs to be at 7616/864, or right around that range or the job has not been done. Unless there's something I don't know about a software-based provisioning system that Verizon has, they can basically kick your speeds right to the point where they should be on the phone. A phone rep might not have that ability, but they do have contacts to people who can on the spot.

0 Likes