Not liking the McAfee security - anyone else ??
steelerkate
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ever since the Security Suite changed from Norton to McAfee I've been having some computer issues.  CPU usage is 100%, some hangups and slowdowns.  I have highspeed DSL.  I"ve checked in programs and it looks like all of Nortons programs were removed.  Anyone else having any issues?  I'm reluctant to contact  Verizon since I always get outsourced!  thanks

Re: Not liking the McAfee security - anyone else ??
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If you paid for that program, cancel and go get your self another anti-virus program such as Avast.

#2 If you do not pay for that program, good 🙂

Go get your self another anti-virus program such as Avast.

#3 Be sure after downloading the program, to unistall McAfee Before you install the other program.

0 Likes
tinaeva
Enthusiast - Level 2

This program practically shut down my laptop. Constant scripts appearing, everything running incredibly slow--I couldn't even type a transaction into Quicken without the hourglass--and crashes whenever I tried to save files to a CD. After a couple hours on the phone with Verizon tech, they had me download the malwarebytes anti-malware app and it found 22 files, but removing them did not solve any problems. I finally "triple-removed" VSE from my computer and am now happily using Microsoft Security Essentials with no problems and for free. I was actually afraid my hard drive was about to go before I got rid of the McAfee "upgrade" but now everything is fine.

Spencer58

Yes it sux my other computer was attacked by a virus and Mcafee says everything is OK ...can't even start up ???

0 Likes
tjswist1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Site Manager kills my clock speed. I've installed and installed three times to no avail; furthermore the package won't activate my updates account.  I am going to opt out and go third party--for $5.99 a month it's not worth the hassle.

0 Likes
Garry
Enthusiast - Level 2

i never did like McAfee.

Always seemed "buggy" to me.

I used to buy Norton every year, but was in contact with our local cable provider a few years ago (before I switched to Verizon DSL) and he told me that the only thing they use in their own computers is Avast. He was very serious and told me that for what I used the computer for I could get away with the free version of Avast and be just as safe as if I was using a pay-per-year subscription to  Norton and any other ant-virus software.

NO antivirus program can say that they are 100% effective.

Yeah, it missed 1 or 2 malicious "bugs" here and there over te past couple years I've had it .... but so did McAfee, Norton, The Shield, Kaspersky, .....

If you play it safe and don't download a lot of "questionable" material you should be fine.

Avast works!!

Just my 2 cents worth of experience if it helps.

MikeNH1

I've had way too many problems with the McAfee software since the change.

From the first I couldn't get the install to proceed past the Initialization step. This was on two computers both configured about the same.

I requested help through the on line chat session and after remotely accessing my computer the Verizon support person ended up uninstalling my old VISS software and disconnecting. So now I have only the MS Firewall and no anti-virus or other security software.

After stumbling around for hours I installed the Verizon In-Home Agent, which seemed to finally install the new McAfee VISS software. But it indicate the software isn't activated. When I try to activate the activation dialog comes up and never completes. I have to go the to the task manger and kill all McAfee and Verizon processes to get rid of it and then reboot to get the security software back online. (rebooting alone didn't work because the activation dialog came right back.) Also, many dialogs cannot be acknowledged. There are buttons for OK, or cancel, but pressing them has no affect. I can usually alt-F4 to kill them.

So know my VISS will expire in about 1 week. I tried the on-line chat agent again and again with the remote accessing and after 3/4 hour they got nowhere.

I think my next choice is to purchase my own security suite but I think a better choice is another ISP.

Mike

0 Likes
MikeNH1

Well I've finally solved the problem, I managed to get rid of VISS and am now using Comodo, a free AV and Firewall suite.

As I mentioned, it took several hours to get the new McAfee version of VISS installed...well, it took me much longer to get rid of it. It absolutely would not uninstall. I had the exact same situation on both of my PCs. I tried to rip it out by the roots using some sysinternals tools, stopping services, deleting files, removing registry entries, etc. Finally I had it completely gone, unfortunately I caused some further damage to windows.

I wouldn't have been that aggressive but a few years ago I had gotten Acronis -- a tool that saves backup images -- and I had recently imaged both machines to a USB hard drive. I restored the image with the old VISS software, uninstalled it, installed COMODO, and I'm off and running again.

By the way, my system performance has significantly improved over either version of the VISS.

I probably have spent around 12-15 hours getting both systems right -- I don't want to go through that again.

Mike

0 Likes
dmars008

Still having trouble activating service. Also CPU usage is at 100% at all times

Also, virus scan has been on-going and slowing entire CPU down-going on a 24 hour virus scan

My PC sounds like it's about to explode

0 Likes
thefelts

I had  the Verizon orginal security suite for over 3 year on several pc's it worked great ...than when they switch to McAfee i started to get some many problems i had to cancel my subscribtion..and get my own anti..virus

0 Likes