Not recieving 3 meg service
Markondude

Hey all,

Ive been a customer for about a year and half now. I have been fighting with verizon support due to the fact i have been provisioned for 1.5 megs when i pay for freakin 3 . I know line conditions could not support that speed so verizon sets you up with what your pair can handle but all my neibs have dsl and next door is getting 2.8 megs down and 510kbps up. Im in a townhouse we have the same lines basically. I think what it is is that they dont want to admit that im getting screwed. and dont care. I tell them that i work for Hughes Network Systems and I install commercial a and sdsl in my line of work but they just dont want to reprovision me cause it takes a little work. If anyone out there has same issue please let me know who you talked to to fix or if you still have issue. It works just fine though, I have had to call them up for slow connections a couple times and reset router a few times as well but service is ok, its just that its only 1.5 megs max.

thnks

0 Likes
Re: Not receiving 3 meg service
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The performance of DSL is controlled largely by the line quality. Just because your neighbor is getting higher performance than you are doesn't mean much.

His copper pair may be significantly better than yours.

Before you go any further, get your modem statistics, in particular the transmit and receiver power levels, and the uplink and downlink losses.

If the downlink loss exceeds about 59db, you will never get to 3mbps, and if the uplink loss exceeds 29db, you won't get to 768kbps either. I don't think Verizon has the ability to provision at 1.5mbps. They normally provision something a little over 3mbps to get you a useable 3mbps, however if the copper pair quality won't support it, you won't get it. Each time your DSL connection is initialized (and that happens a lot with Verizon), the speed between your modem and CO is negotiated, and you get the highest speed that works over the copper pair reliably.

I was never able to get the full 3mbps/768kbps, and in bad weather, it fell dramatically. if I could hear thunder, my DSL was down. When FIOS came to the neighborhood, I jumped on it. FiOS is an all or nothing proposition. If it says you are going to get 20/5 service, you are essentially going to get 20/5 service, or nothing at all....

So I don't have trouble with thunder, or bad weather any longer, and OK, I don't quite get 20/5, I get 19.2/5.8 million bits per second. I am not going to complain.