Outgoing Port 25 or Port 587
foilman

I have read the VZW e-mails and the VZW forum posts, but I am still uncertain about which outgoing port to use for each of my accounts.  Let me present three situations and ask the correct outgoing port setting for each situation. 

I have VZW DSL, and e-mail accounts with VZW and two other ISPs and domains which I generally access via DSL using either Thunderbird or Eudora.

Here is my understanding of the correct settings for each of the three accounts.  Would somebody confirm or correct?

Thanks, in advance, to all who can help.

Account 1:  A verizon.net account:  I send from the Verizon.net server.  Hence, the outgoing port should remain as 25.

Account 2:  Call the e-mail account x@ABC.com.  I use the ABC.com server to send e-mail.  Hence, I continue to use whatever outgoing port ABC.com tells me to use.  (My logic:  I do NOT change the outgoing port to 587 since I am not sending via the verizon.net server.)

Account 3:  Call it Q@xyz.com.  For this account, I use the Verizon.net outgoing server.  Hence, I change the outgoing port to 587.   (My logic: Since this is a non-verizon account for which I use the verizon server, I need to change the outgoing port to 587.)

0 Likes
Re: Outgoing Port 25 or Port 587
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@foilman wrote:

Account 1:  A verizon.net account:  I send from the Verizon.net server.  Hence, the outgoing port should remain as 25.

Account 2:  Call the e-mail account x@ABC.com.  I use the ABC.com server to send e-mail.  Hence, I continue to use whatever outgoing port ABC.com tells me to use.  (My logic:  I do NOT change the outgoing port to 587 since I am not sending via the verizon.net server.)

Account 3:  Call it Q@xyz.com.  For this account, I use the Verizon.net outgoing server.  Hence, I change the outgoing port to 587.   (My logic: Since this is a non-verizon account for which I use the verizon server, I need to change the outgoing port to 587.)

Account 1: Correct. Server outgoing.verizon.net should always work with port 25. You can also use port 587 if you *want* to, but it is not required.

Account 2: Should be using any port ABC.com allows OTHER than port 25. Third party servers are the ones that are blocked.

Account 3: Again, outgoing.verizon.net should always be able to use port 25. (Though 587 is also acceptable.)

Hope this helps!

0 Likes