Outlook Express 6 wants to re-download old E-mail
dsluser

Hello!.

I use Verizon DSL.  I use Outlook Express 6 at home to download my incoming e-mail. 

I do not delete the mail after it is downloaded. I keep a copy of my incoming e-mail in my Verizon Webmail Inbox so that I can access it on the Web if I need to see it when I am away from home.  Until a few days ago, my Outlook Express would download only the new email messages.  This is what I did for years. However, after I changed my Outgoing Port Number to 587, Outlook Express now wants to download all the mail that is in the Webmail Inbox, not just the new mail. 

I cannot determine what is wrong, or if changing the outgoing port to 587 is the cause. Not sure if I accidentally changed my settings or not.

My account settings are: 

GENERAL tab

name

e-mail address

SERVERS

incoming mail is POP3

incoming (POP3): incoming.verizon.net

outgoing (smtp):  outgoing.verizon.net

My server requires authentication - is checked - Advanced: Use same settings as incoming mail server is checked.

CONNECTION

the box stating "always connect to this account using___  is not checked.

ADVANCED:

Server Port Numbers: Outgoing (smtp) 587.  Incoming (pop3) 110

Delivery:  Leave copy of messages on server is checked.   Remove from server after___ days - is not checked;  Remove from server when deleted from "Deleted Items"  - not checked.

I have my work e-mail account configured the same way (except for the name, email address) BUT I don't have the same problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Outlook Express 6 wants to re-download old E-mail
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, your settings are correct. What you may try is deleting the account in Outlook Express and re-adding it. You will not lose your emails that are already downloaded.

0 Likes
JS1965

I have the same issue, since 10/16/09, using a different e-mail client. Some e-mails come in a second time, and some have come in over a dozen times. They clearly are not getting properly deleted from the server when they are first fetched.

This can't be related to the 587 port change, however, but it is very annoying.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Microsoft recently sent out an update that incorrectly set the system date/time to 2008. Check to make sure your system date and time are correct, as this may be the cause of the issue. (Your client checks for new mail, and is seeing everything since 2008 as new.)

getproblemfix

This a Verizon problem.  It is occurring on multiple email programs and operating systems, even Apple.  Can't seem to get a response from VZ about a fix.  The date thing is not it.

0 Likes
glnzglnz1

HEY YOU ALL - I HAVE HAD THIS EXACT PROBLEM FOUR TIMES IN THE PAST TWO YEARS, ALWAYS ON OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 -- ONCE AT HOME ON WIN98SE, ONCE AT HOME ON WINXPPRO SP3, AND TWICE AT WORK ON WIN2000PRO SP4. 

THIS FOURTH TIME IS AT WORK AND HAPPENED YESTERDAY. AND I CAN SEE YOU ALL ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM THIS WEEK.

MY TWO OE6's LINK TO THE SAME VERIZON.NET EMAIL ACCOUNTS.

THE LAST THREE TIMES VERIZON TECH SUPPORT SAID IT WAS MY PROBLEM.  WHAT A BUNCH OF LAZY IGNORANT SELF-JUSTIFYING CORPORATE TOADY HOLES.  I COULD KISS YOU GUYS FOR FINALLY PROVIDING EVIDENCE IT'S BEEN VERIZON'S PROBLEM ALL ALONG.

THIS IS AND WAS ALWAYS VERIZON'S FAULT.  I REFUSE TO WAIT HOURS FOR 1,500 OLD EMAILS TO RE-DOWNLOAD AND DUPLICATE THEMSELVES IN MY OE6 INBOX LIST AND THEN TO MANUALLY DELETE THEM, ONE BY ONE.  TOMORROW MORNING I'M DEMANDING $100 REFUND OFF MY DSL BILL.

PLEASE DO THE SAME.

0 Likes
glnzglnz1

First, I apologize to Verizon for my intemperate language above.  I can no longer edit out the offending sentence.

Although I give this apology without qualification, I am unable to get a single VZ tech person to look at this forum or this post.  I am trying now for the fourth time, and the latest guy in India or the Philippines says he has no internet access and refuses to go to a computer with internet access or to transfer me to someone with a normal setup.

Second, I have just obtained a $30 credit on my DSL account for the time I have wasted per VZ's advice that this was a problem at my end., and everyone with this problem should demand the same.

Third, I urge Mr. getproblemfix to post here the other systems on which he has had a problem.  As I noted above, I have had this problem on three different systems on three different computers at two different locations.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@glnzglnz wrote:

First, I apologize to Verizon for my intemperate language above.  I can no longer edit out the offending sentence.

In the future use Report inappropriate content or send an IM(instant message)/PM(private message) to one of the mods/admins.

PS.I already used Report inappropriate content, to report your post.

0 Likes
glnzglnz1

Dear :

As I said, I apologize for my intemperate language and wish I could delete the one offending sentence above.  But just that one sentence.

I wonder if you have any idea how frustrating it has been dealing with the technical problems presented by Verizon.  Your tech telephone people in other countries know less about computers and high speed than I do -- and I'm just a home user.  And it was torture last night to try to register for this forum to post my information.  Even right now, I could not even sign in to write this reply in Firefox; I had to reopen this page in IE.

Verizon's entire web site and email web layout (and size limits) are pathetic in the current competitive environment -- and now I'm being nice.

I resent being a paying customer and being told by offshore outsourced with a script that a Verizon problem is {please keep your posts courteous} the fault of my OE6 or my computer settings.  That has never, ever been correct.  Not once.  The only time I ever got relief was when I literally screamed for attention from Verizon's US-based "presidential"-resolution high-level tech teams.

I gave you my apology.  {please keep it relevant}

And where's the fix to this problem?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just wondering...

Why not delete the old ones online?

0 Likes