Paying for 10Mbps but getting less than 5Mbps since October
Crimsonite

My last post was about a constant disconnection issue which has kind of been fixed, meaning that it probably happens once or twice a day night and mostly during night time after 8PM PST. Tiny bit of progress, but not entirely remedied.

That started back in Octorber, took a month and a lot of effort on my end trying to get Verizon's attention for that to be checked out, yet it's not 100% fixed. But since then my speeds have dropped below 5Mbps down, 540Kbps up. I used to be getting 9.3Mbps/860Kbps, from 2007 to 2009, two flawless years before the speeds began to gradually decrease in 2010, approximately 1~2% every 6 months or so, until the speeds became stuck at 7.3Mbps/728Kbps. Every Verizon agent I spoke to told me that my line is only good for up to 7.1Mbps so I'm actually getting more than I should. Do you even know how ridiculous that sounds? I'm only 1.7mile away from the Verizon station, and that does not lower my speeds that much. So why should I pay $60 for a 10Mbps enhanced package that gets me nowhere near 10Mbps? And how did I have speeds close to the advertised specs in the first place?

Here's what I think. ASSIA Optimizer is just a sugar-coated name for "Bandwidth Throttling". It detects and measures the bandwidth usage of each line and if the load is higher than the pre-determined parameters it throttles the bandwidth and lowers the speeds, and Verizon has made sure that it's extremely difficult for any user to get some real support, and their employees have been told to avoid acknowledging the existence of "ASSIA Optimizer" as well as "Speed Profiles". Yea, Verizon agents told me that these things do not exist.

I've lost count of how many tickets I've had all of which did absolutely nothing, but my speeds just keep getting worse with each call I make to Verizon support. As of now I am getting 2.06Mbps/460Kbps. And I've been paying $60 a month why??

If you have a choice in your area, steer clear of Verizon, because you will never get any real support.

0 Likes
Re: Paying for 10Mbps but getting less than 5Mbps since October
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Crimsonite,

We have reopened your Private Support Case. Please access your case through your profile page by following the instructions posted earlier.

0 Likes