Paying for 7.1MB/s, Speedtest shows .4kb/s
wmyatt

I've done virus scans/malware scans and it shows up that I'm clean.  All my PC's are reporting the same speed via speedtest, but my modem shows I should be getting my paid speed..but I'm not.

0 Likes
Re: Paying for 7.1MB/s, Speedtest shows .4kb/s
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 How many PCs do you have?

#2 Did you do one PC at a time OR more than one at the same time?

#3 How are they connected ( Wired OR Wireless ) ?

#4 If wireless, what level of wireless security is being used ( WEP/WPA ) ?

0 Likes
wmyatt

oh and by .4kb/s I meant .4mb/s haha

I have 3 computers. Both laptops are connected wireless, desktop is wired.

I have one of my laptop's on all the time, usually along with my desktop.  I haven't corrently configured any wireless security at the moment, and from looking at my modem's page it doesn't seem like anyone is leeching off my net.

My pings in games and such are fine, it's the download rate that's just utterly slow as hell.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

What is the brand and model of your dsl modem combo?

0 Likes
wmyatt

I have a Westell 327W Modem

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to Wireless Setup in the router, and enable WEP.

#2 Then make sure all of your computers are set to use WEP.

0 Likes
wmyatt

Tried both of those things.  My speed didn't increase at all. Doesn't seem as if anyone else was using my net.

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Have you attempted to connect the modem directly to the network interface in the Verizon box on the house?  If you have and the speed does not change Verizon needs to check for problems. I assume that Verizon would not have approved the Turbo plan without a preliminary line check to verify suitability to handle what you requested.

wmyatt

We had the slower plan before, then upgraded to the Turbo plan, and all was fine. It just recently slowed down to a crawl. What do you mean by Verizon box?We just have the modem directly connected to the phone jack .

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe they mean ... have you eliminated the house wiring as the source of the problem by taking the modem out to the Dmark point (where the Verizon circuit enters the house) and making your connection to the jack inside that box directly.  As a troubleshooting step, this is a good first one since it eliminate anything "inside" your house as the cause and points to either the modem or the external wiring -- both of which are Verizon issues to fix.