Persistent problem with Slow DSL Downlink Speeds
KendallGF1

For many months (years?) we've had consistent DSL downlink speeds at or above 7000 Kbps.  Over the last few months our downlink speeds have gradually degraded; after many online chat and phone sessions with technical support and two repairs on our line (on Verizon's side of the network) we are still plagued with slower speeds.  Any issues with our home wiring have been ruled out (I could replicate the problem with my router connected directly to the NID outside the house) and I've tried four different DSL modem/routers, none of which have made any difference in our DSL speeds (I didn't expect them to).

A week ago I managed to have our speed reset to 7600 Kbps which was very good, but then over a 24-hour period it had degraded yet again down to 7100 and now down to 6200 Kbps.  And today was the icing on the cake when "Anthony" informed me that the network team stated that our line is now capable of only supporting up to 5000 Kbps downlink (our current 6200 Kbps downlink has been steady).

And I've yet to be told of any factual reason(s) why this has happened, other than to say our loop length won't support higher speeds.  Nevermind that up until a few months ago we had consistent, stable downlink above 7000 Kbps.

The online/phone HSI tech support has essentially become useless at this point; I'm tired of repeatedly going through the same scripted troubleshooting steps every single time I contact them.  I've worked in IT for over 30 years and I suspect I understand more about my home network equipment than they do.

If there are any Verizon reps reading this I would greatly appreciate some further assistance to resolve this issue if at all possible.  Otherwise I'm considering opening a complaint with the BBB and perhaps the SCC for whatever good it may do.  I've been a Verizon customer along with their predecessors since 1979 and this is the worst level of customer service I've ever received.

0 Likes
Re: Persistent problem with Slow DSL Downlink Speeds
ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi KendallGF,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes