Re: Ping rates over 600 on long distant connections only
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Duplicate posts happen, and they're all cool. Easy to deal with and they just happen 🙂

So to get this right. Your line is supposed to be at 15Mbps/1Mbps but you are getting 1000kbps/1000kbps or some lower value on the download/upload and it fails to exceed a certain speed? What speed is your modem showing it is running at and what do you get as a transfer rate when you download and upload a file for a speed test? If you're supposed to be at 15Mbps but you're getting 1Mbps with a sync rate at the rates set for 15Mbps this is almost for sure a problem with how the BRAS on Verizon's end is handling your traffic. 15Mbps on a 1Mbps QoS profile will cause some pretty poor performance with latency and data transfers. I haven't investigated this too much but often when the profiles are mis-configured, if it isn't set to a constant rate in, you get a case where traffic is then queued and bursted out after a set duration of time.  The only QoS placed on a line within Verizon's end is on the downstream, as upstream rate limiting is supposed to be done by adjusting synchronization rates on the lines.

If you can get your full Transceiver Statistics from the ActionTec (See: http://192.168.1.1/ > Status > DSL Status and then copy/paste) posted here as well, we can see if your line is running clean enough to support FastPath. This should shave some latency off of your line so it reflects closer to what I get to the first hop on Verizon's end. It helps with gaming as well as you don't have error correction slowing things down a bit.

Worth pointing this out too. Recently Verizon has been making some efforts to move lines from older Redback, ATM-based routers to newer Juniper ERX, QoS-based routers. Verizon has a problem with their profiles on the Junipers where heavy downstream usage on the line, regardless of what speed you're on will cause traffic to get queued at the router. This queue can build up to cause anywhere from a 50ms to a 800ms delay in traffic. They opt to do this rather than drop excess data most likely for reliability rather than performance.

0 Likes
Just_tired

No, No, let me clean that up a bit for you Smith6612.

My DSL extended is 15 Mbps, of which I generally get about 10.5 to 12 Mbps( +/-)  which is within acceptable tolerance( not what I am paying for, but line speeds will flux, so it is within acceptable tolerance).

Now, in some programs I can set the amount of bandwidth I use ( this allows me to control my bandwidth usage so I can multitask )  so in that post my reference to using 1000 Kbps was what I had set the program to use( over a period of time in usage know it will not exceed that amount).

So the problem is not line speed, but line quality, or a combination of speed and quality when connection to certain areas.

For the first six months my line routing or profile was good and I had no trouble.  Now, my problem is the line quality and, or combination of line speed and quality.  Most noticeable when connecting to a site in the San Francisco area on west coast.  In doing my own testing have identified that my line speed drops from 10.5 Mbps to about 2 Mbps and the quality of line is also lowered (increased ping rates).

So you see the problem is within verizon and something they did in the past month or so to my profile or line routing.  For the first six months everything was fine, it is in the last month or so that my line has become unstable when connecting to certain areas (most notable now being the San Francisco area).

So unless they get this corrected they will be losing another customer due to not being able to supply what was promised at time of sign up.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes
Just_tired

Ok, here is my reply.  My internet in December returned to about normal with 9 to 12 Mps which is good on a 15 Mps line.

BUT, in January my speed again dropped on January 25 my speed went to 1.7 Mps, about a week later my internet would drop in and out with static on phone line, ran all test contacted tech support which put in a repair request.  A day later my internet and phone went out completly.  Repair was to be made on Wednesday, did not show till late Thursday.

Internet was back up at 1.7 Mps, Phone is still dead.  Chat Tech support tells me still have open ticket, but I do not see one.

I now have 15 Mps line running at 1.7 Mps, NO PHONE, and when I try to contact support seem to get lost in waiting line.

Have now sent email and this.   If my service is not fixed, I can and I will file Informal Complaint with FCC.  I do not care if you fix this line or run a new one but it had better be FIXED.   Got it. 

0 Likes