Poor DSL Connection
beffjall

Good evening everyone, I am having TERRIBLE DSL service lately, started maybe 6 months ago however I have been out of town and the family didn't really care. Anyways, I will post up stats and see if you guys can point me in the right direction. 

I know I am a good distance from the box, however neighbors around me are not having any issues what so ever. Also having really staticy phone line during calls. We have a filter installed in the NID, and only one jack inside the house getting the DSL signal. We had a tech come out, he replaced the line from the NID to the junction at the road hoping to fix the issue, with no success. Connection frequently drops, have to restart router numerous times during the day, its basically unusuable at this point. Heres what I have right now after a fresh restart....Seems like many errors, but what can be done to fix them?

If it changes anything, I am using an Actiontec GT784WNV

User Name:newdsl
PPP Type:PPPoE
LCP State:UP
IPCP State:UP
Authentication Failures:0
Session Time:0 Days, 0H:26M:11S
Packets Sent:56983
Packets Received:56903

Broadband Status

Broadband Parameter Status

VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode:G.DMT
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:1792 Kbps
Upstream Speed:448 Kbps
Retrains:0
Retrain Timer:0 Days, 0H:28M:38S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:2
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :12
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :259
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :21 dB
SNR Upstream :21 dB
Attenuation Downstream :55 dB
Attenuation Upstream :27 dB
Power Downstream13.9 dBm
Power Upstream9.6 dBm
0 Likes
Re: Poor DSL Connection
beffjall

*I THINK i was on fast path before, any reason why Verizon would switch me to interleaved?

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

If you're having issues with call clarity, you need to call and report that.  Don't mention anything about DSL troubles - they will respond much differently if you report a voice problem since that is a federally regulated service; DSL is not.  Once the voice issues are corrected, the DSL problems should go away.

At 55 dm attentuation, you are pretty far from the CO/RT, but you do have a strong signal (SNR is what shows that).  I would think you could probably get 3 Mbps with no problems.

0 Likes
beffjall

Thank you for the response pjsutton,

I once was getting 3 mb down, could do everything just fine. internet was great, oddly enough it was like clockwork. EVERY single night, the internet would drop at exactly 8:23 PM. Now, it just drops whenever it wants, no lights go out on the modem, just won't go to websites or anything of the sort. 

I will give them a call in the morning and see where I can get my foot in the door, this is gonna sound really odd, but the phone line is staticy, and it ALMOST sounds like a phone ringing in the back ground on the phone line. kind of like a rotary phone dialing out too. I tried hooking the modem directly into the NID to see if it was home wiring, with no change in anything.

0 Likes
bfield1

Hey Beffjall,

Wondering if you had any luck getting your connection issue addressed.  I am having the same problem and my stats are nearly identical to yours.  I've got the same modem / router you have, the SNR values and attenuation values are very similar.  Up until a few weeks ago I was consistently getting about 2.5 down and .7 up.  Which was OK considering I live in the boondocks.  But now I cannot get more than 1.5 down and .4 up.  I've got a homerun connection from the jack where the modem plugs in and I checked all my wiring.  But I can't test for static on the line because I have a dry loop from my house to the CO, which basically means I don't get a dial tone.  I just wanted DSL with no phone service and they gave me the dry loop.

So since my stats are pretty much the same as yours I was wondering if you were able to get any changes before I head down the same path of contacting Verizon.

Thanks

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

I'd be careful with what you call in and report.  Verizon doesn't sell dry loops anymore, and they'll likely try to bump you down to 1 Mbps.  But, it does sound like a wiring issue.

Even though you have no POTS, if you plug a phone in do you hear static?

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

If you're having a voice issue, that's good, you need to report that!  Don't even mention there is a DSL problem.  When the voice issue corrects itself, the DSL will clear up too.

0 Likes
bfield3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks pjsutton.  I did plug a phone into my NID which is mounted on the house, but I got no dial tone.  All I got was something that sounded like a constant busy signal.  I assumed that because I have a dry loop that's why I didn't have a dial tone.  I've had DSL here for close to 10 years now.  Most of those years I had DSL and POTS and three times I had constant connection drops and poor network speed.  I was able to plug a phone into the NID and hear all kinds of static.  I called Verizon and they sent someone out and verified the line was crap.  They fixed it and everything worked fine.

I'm not getting a lot of drops now, but as mentioned, up until a couple weeks ago I was getting 2.5 down consistently.  All of a sudden I can no longer get more than 1.5 down.  I don't know what might have happened but I'm getting sick and tired of having one choice for "high" speed internet.  No cable, no FIOS, I've heard absolutely nothing good about satellite....It's frustrating.  Verizon doesn't care about anyone, all they care about is getting their check every month, which keeps going up and up and quality of service keeps going down.  

I spoke to my town board the other night and told them if they ever want to try and attract more people and business they've got to start doing something about the limited high speed network choices we have available in our small town.  There's still a ton of people using dial up.  I guess I'm lucky I have what I have, but fact of the matter is it just drives me crazy that in this day and age we have to deal with such lousy service.

But I know I'm preaching to the choir here.  It seems like everyone using DSL has lousy service - or they don't realize they have lousy service :-).  If there was something else availabe to me I'd pay $100/month.

Funny story - about 10 years ago I called Time Warner and said "There are lots of new houses on my road and I'm sure lots of people would be interested in getting cable TV and internet if you'd run the lines."  They told me if I could sign up 20 people and get each person to pay $4000 they would run the lines.  What the heck.  I said "Isn't that your job??".  Ugh...all these telecom companies are corrupt and greedy.  Wish Google would speed up their fiber rollout to the entire nation or Walmart would decide to run their own network lines.  We need more competition.

Peace...

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

So you're saying Verizon was recently out to fix the problem?  If so, it'll probably take the line "optimizer" a bit to bump you back up to 3 Mbps.  It analyzes your line and adjusts to what it feels is a stable speed based on line conditions.

if you want more help, register at DSLreports.com and post in the "Verizon Direct" forum.  You can interact with customer service directly there, and they generally have a technical sense of things.  You could ask them to re-provision you for 3 Mbps and they will understand what you mean and usually be able to accomplish that.

0 Likes
bfield3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually Verizon hasn't been out here since I noticed this slow down.  They have been here 3 times in the past 10 years to fix line noise which resulted in frequent disconnects from the internet.  But for this issue they haven't been out to my house yet.  I'm going to wait awhile and see if the optimizer (assuming there is one on my line) adjusts itself somehow.  If not then I'll reach out to them. 

I just hate calling Verizon support.  I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of high school drop outs.  They read from a script, they are not technically competent and they could give a crap about whether or not I have internet access.  I had an issue once and called them.  I told the woman that none of my computers could get online.  She actually told me that all 4 of my home computers needed to have the network drivers re-installed.  Are you kidding me....I ended up hanging up on her and called back numerous times until I finally got someone to agree to send a tech to my house.  He tested and found a noisy line and eventually found an open line with water in the lines.  Reinstall the network card drivers....haha. 

We need more competition in this business.  Perhaps that might drive some competent support decisions when Verizon realized they were losing customers to competition.  But for people like myself who have no other options we have to live with the incompetent decisions by Verizon.

Oh well...off my soapbox.  Nothing I can do to change anything at Verizon.  They'd probably be just as happy to get rid me.  One less complaining customer.  But when you pay for a service you expect to get what you pay for.  That's all I'm asking.  For this issue I'm going to wait till after the first of the year and see how things shake out.  If it's still not back up to speed I'll contact them probably via the Verizon direct forum on DSLreports as it sounds like there are probably more competent people monitoring that forum than what they have answering their phones and doing chat.

Thanks again.

0 Likes