Poor DSL Service
JimDB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have terrible DSL service. The speed is slower than it should be and I frequently loose the DSL signal.  I was told that I am too far from the main office, 2 miles.  I didn't think 2 miles was that far. I was also told that if I increased my speed it would help.  I put in a request to go from 1 to 3.1-7.  After it took effect the speed was worst than it was before.  When I call technical support they say that there is a problem on the line and a repair person will come by to correct it.  The repair person says that there is no problem with the line, but the problem is that my speed is set too high and when it cannot get to the higher speed it drops it to a lower speed.  I was told that if I request a speed of 3 it would work better.  So I did.  Now my speed is barely above 1 and in the past hour I lost the DSL signal 6 times.  Is anyone else having problems with Verizon DSL? FIOS is not available here.  At this point I would like to leave Verizon and switch to Spectrum, but I do not want to loose my Verizon email.

Re: Poor DSL Service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you happen to have a landline? Any static on the phone? That would be a good indication of a line problem.

At 2 miles, assuming the wiring distance is that long, you should be able to achieve around 7Mbps if the line is solid. There shouldn't be a reason why it can't do more than 3Mbps unless the equipment you're attached to is too old.

KWA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Expanding on what "smith6612" said. Noise is the single worst problem you can have on your line. Not only will it affect your DSL (which is rated up to 3MHz..slower as you hit the 18,000 ft limit) it will affect your caller ID. Keep that in mind if you have issues with either. When/if you report the problem, be as specific as you can aas to whaat you're hearing (static, hum, etc). It does mean something to someone.

0 Likes
JimDB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have any trouble with my landline.  No static.  I do have one extension that occasioinally gets static, but none of my other phones get any static so I assume that it is a problem with that particular phone and not the line.

0 Likes
cartermichael
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have been having the same problems. I called and they did a test on the line and it was good. that's all the help I was given. Actually now looking for a new provider
cn2jh
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I read your complaint it described everything we have been experiencing with DSL.  I am currently going to pay 90.00 a month for phone and internet as they said it would give me better speed. Guess what it runs a bit better but we lose signal all the time.  Is it the router that is causing this?  

I feel this is nothing but a rip off, but unfortuately they know they have us nailed to the wall and there is nothing we can do about it.  I am thinking since I am loosing money as I don't have internet service most of the time to just cancel it and just use my phone.  I also am just disquested with their customer service is just about useless.  Have you had any luck since you wrote this comment?  I would be curious to know.  Thank you.  

torm
Enthusiast - Level 1

well i upgraded to high speed dsl 3 mb/s for the last 2 to 3 weeks have been geting less than 1 mb/s i have phone and internet phone is fine net is realy poor pay 98$ a month dial up was better  it wasentawalys like this but it seems they arnt doing anything about it that has now made me look elswere they will lose my phone busness also now their service is horriable

0 Likes
JimDB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have switched to Spectrum a little over a week ago.  I no longer lose my signal and the speed is a lot higher, 60 Mbps.  My combined phone, cable and internet  is less than i was paying before.  I wish that I had switched sooner.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Worth troubleshooting that static. A bad jack in the house can cause increased noise on the line whether or not the phone is actually in use. Most phones add a small amount of load to the line even when on the hook. If it's just the handset, then okay. That can be ruled out by putting it onto another jack which another phone doesn't experience static in.

But other than that, enjoy the new Spectrum service.

0 Likes
bus24

I have been having the same problem and was told the same thing....2 miles...at the edge of good service!  What does that mean?  I don't live in the middle of nowhere - this should not be a problem!  Thanks for mentioning Spectrum, going to look into it.  Already dropped Verizon wireless and went to Total Wireless...best switch we ever made. Saving $100+ monthly with no lost/dropped calls and no problem connecting to cell towers.  In fact, it works better in our home than our internet!

0 Likes