Poor internet connection and frequent router restarts
dkelley2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been experiencing frequent issues with my Internet service over the last 2 months. When it first started I had to reset  my router 4-6 times a day. Otherwise I would have a strong wireless signal but no Internet access. I changed the automatic channel selection to a lower channel and it seemed to be fine for about 2 weeks. I figured that I was getting some sort of interference. Now I have noticed that the problem has returned. I also have noticed much slower speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I ask for a replacement router? It seems that there are many similar issues posted on the forums with few successful results.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor internet connection and frequent router restarts
dkelley2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612

Thanks for the information. I was actually able to get Verizon Support to open a chat session with me. They basically reset the setting to automatically set the channel and then restarted the gateway. I am a little surprised to say that it has been working for about a week without issue. I do have a feeling that the problem will return, especially with the automatic channel setting. For now I am leaving it alone since it is working well.

Thanks for your help.

@Smith6612 wrote:

Gotcha. So since it appears to only be Wireless, definitely consider changing the channel again. If other routers have Auto Channel selection on, they may be "stopping by" and using the same channel once again that you are using. I recommend using Vistumbler or InSSIDer to scan for Wi-Fi networks nearby you and choosing channels 1, 6, or 11, whichever has less networks on it to use. Some folks have found that using the other channels I did not mention have helped in some circumstances. Whatever you do though, keep the auto channel selection disabled since that has been found to be a source of disconnects itself.

If no amount of changing the channel helps but Wired access remains rock solid, then I would start to consider any devices you may have added onto your network since the program began, and perhaps software updates too if you have any tablets or smartphones on the network. If nothing has changed since the problem began, then it doesn't hurt to ask for another Wireless router from Verizon to replace your current, possibly problematic router.

I've seen in some cases too where WEP and WPA security have caused issues with certain devices when used which have caused disconnects. It wouldn't hurt to try moving to WPA2 security if it's available in your router to see if that helps since most newer devices work quite well with it, not to mention the higher level of security.

if nothing is working, then there's a good chance there is a "hidden interferer" in the mix. These could include any devices you or your neighbors might have set up such as Wireless access ponts and repeaters, cordless phones, baby monitors, bluetooth devices, microwaves and so on that use the very crowded and noisy 2.4Ghz band.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jnfrlynne

Experiencing the exact same issue over the same time period in northern Virginia. Will update if I get any results from customer support... 

0 Likes
decognate
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem for over a month. I have a Actiontec Mi424WR Wirless Modem/Router. In my case the problem only happens with Windows 7 computers, which I have three. Verizon will try to quickly blame it on McAfee, but one of these does not have McAfee. Also, when the Modem/Router goes into this funky state none of the Windows 7 laptops will connect, whereas 2 X iPhone 4s and 1 X iPhone 5, 1 x iPad, 1 X MacPro, 1 X Windows Vista and 1 X Wireless printer will be fine.

On one of my Windows 7 I even had the manufacturer (Dell) change the Wirless card for me.

The way I reset my router is to change the WPA2 password. Then it resets and works for at least 24 hours.

I strongly suspect the router, as once one Windows 7 computer is disconnected, other Windows 7 computers cannot connect or are disconnected.

Also, I cannot upgrade the Firmware for the Actionec

Verizon, please look into this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dkelley2001 wrote:

I have been experiencing frequent issues with my Internet service over the last 2 months. When it first started I had to reset  my router 4-6 times a day. Otherwise I would have a strong wireless signal but no Internet access. I changed the automatic channel selection to a lower channel and it seemed to be fine for about 2 weeks. I figured that I was getting some sort of interference. Now I have noticed that the problem has returned. I also have noticed much slower speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I ask for a replacement router? It seems that there are many similar issues posted on the forums with few successful results.

Thanks for the help.

Are you seeing the same problems from a Wired connection? Let's get the Wireless taken out of the equation first.

0 Likes
dkelley2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have noticed it only on wireless. If I am wired everything looks to be OK, but I will admit that I am about 90% wireless so maybe I just haven't noticed.

0 Likes
RWWiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm basically having the same problem... it seems like MANY people are. Which suggests it is a Verizon issue. I'm getting sick of it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gotcha. So since it appears to only be Wireless, definitely consider changing the channel again. If other routers have Auto Channel selection on, they may be "stopping by" and using the same channel once again that you are using. I recommend using Vistumbler or InSSIDer to scan for Wi-Fi networks nearby you and choosing channels 1, 6, or 11, whichever has less networks on it to use. Some folks have found that using the other channels I did not mention have helped in some circumstances. Whatever you do though, keep the auto channel selection disabled since that has been found to be a source of disconnects itself.

If no amount of changing the channel helps but Wired access remains rock solid, then I would start to consider any devices you may have added onto your network since the program began, and perhaps software updates too if you have any tablets or smartphones on the network. If nothing has changed since the problem began, then it doesn't hurt to ask for another Wireless router from Verizon to replace your current, possibly problematic router.

I've seen in some cases too where WEP and WPA security have caused issues with certain devices when used which have caused disconnects. It wouldn't hurt to try moving to WPA2 security if it's available in your router to see if that helps since most newer devices work quite well with it, not to mention the higher level of security.

if nothing is working, then there's a good chance there is a "hidden interferer" in the mix. These could include any devices you or your neighbors might have set up such as Wireless access ponts and repeaters, cordless phones, baby monitors, bluetooth devices, microwaves and so on that use the very crowded and noisy 2.4Ghz band.

dkelley2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612

Thanks for the information. I was actually able to get Verizon Support to open a chat session with me. They basically reset the setting to automatically set the channel and then restarted the gateway. I am a little surprised to say that it has been working for about a week without issue. I do have a feeling that the problem will return, especially with the automatic channel setting. For now I am leaving it alone since it is working well.

Thanks for your help.

@Smith6612 wrote:

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Sometimes a little 'ole reset is all that is needed to fix things, especially after firmware upgrades!

0 Likes
Trace11

I am having the same problem with very poor wifi connectivity. I have gone over my mobile data for cell phone because of the terrible wifi connection.  I have a new router, have restarted it too many times to count and called tech support onky for this to continue. I am looking into other companies now for my wifi besides verizon. 

0 Likes