Poor internet connection and service
Hoser59
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have had constant problems with my dsl. I was told when I signed up I would have 1.5 speed. I either have low speed or get disconnected and have to wait almost an hour to connect again. The best on any given day is 864kps. Sometimes it drops to 54 with a max of 254. I have called numerous times. Get the same questions asked over and over. I have had 3 techs come out to the house and after they leave, say it should be fixed. I called again 2 weeks ago because I am still having connection problems. A tech was suppose to come out to the house again. I made an appointment. I was called by their dispatch and the tech never showed up. After I called again they said they had no record of repair request. What do I do?
Re: Poor internet connection and service
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Yea, the deal with the 1.5 speed...if your within a short distance from the office you would see it.  Say 1 to 2 miles.  However the further you are from the office, the lower the speeds.  Any idea how far you are from the Central office in your town?  If you don't know, ask the next tech that comes to visit.

When you loose your connection, do you loose the Dsl light?

When the tech comes, does he hook up a test meter at the cord that goes into your router?  If he does, it's ok to inquire what kind of readings he's getting.  It would display the actual reading your getting and the max available.

With regards to speed, there are too many variables that can effect it.  Your computer can be a big culprit if there are trojans hiding on your system...Line conditions from our office to your home, your inside wires, phones, alarm systems...etc...

Essentially you should insist on having a technician fix it and fix it correctly so you don't have to keep calling in.

Hoser59
Enthusiast - Level 1
As I write this my speed is 161 down and 159 up.  I have seen the techs plug in all sorts of things.  I am far from the office.  They always drive down about a mile to a large box and spend about an hour there.  Everytime a tech has come out the problem has gotton worse.  I am hoping if Fios is ever offered I will get a better result.  I have noticed when my house phone rings I loose the connection also. There is only one phone in the house and that has the filter.  The green light will just blink when I loose the connection. 
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
DSL only works up to 18,000ft from the Central Office unless you are on a Pair Gain system from a Remote Terminal. To get 1.5 service you need to be about 15.000ft or less. It sounds like you are either too far or you have a metallic line issue on the copper pair. You definitely need a tech to fix your problem.
missimin

My house is 6 miles further than the end of the Verizon signal and Verizon knew it when they signed me up, my internet is 200 kbps for the next 15 months.  Tech said so what then get rid of us.  I can't, they gave me directv and I can't change my internet unless I have cable tv.  With Directv I'd have to get snail dial up again which would probably be faster than Verizon DSL. 

I can't believe Verizon would lie and sign people up for service they can't provide just to get Directv contracts.  That amounts to false advertising and possibly something illegal.  I'll be asking the BBB and the attorney general all about it if I don't get some help from Verizon about this. 

Message Edited by missimin on 01-11-2009 04:05 PM
0 Likes