Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP
CompTutor

I use Skype for business contacts. My clients (all) hear a popping sound on all of the 3 computers using my DSL line. I had a client record it and it sounds like popping corn, about 1 pop per second. They do not hear it on other calls through VOIP.

(I tried every support alternative short of the paid service--this company's support really is the worst I have come across in years--and I teach Help Desk personnel!  I hope the community will be able to help resolve this!)  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
CompTutor

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

Modem/Router Combo: Westell A90-750015-07

Firewall: I had Norton, it was removed, and now using NO firewall (depending on hardware router to do it all.)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will tell what I know...

It is nice that the hardware firewall (router) protects you from traffic from the Internet or /Net (or what ever you call it). However with most routers there is no protection from other computers on the same LAN.

I point to grc.com's pure CSS menu: Research -> Rececent -> NAT Router Security.

Direct link: http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

I am not saying that is why you having the issues that you are, but it is something to think about as a possible reason..

And I am not saying what software firewall to use, either. It could be the one built into the OS (Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows Vista / The firewall in the Mac OS, ETC....)

0 Likes
CompTutor

@dslr595148 wrote:

I am not saying that is why you having the issues that you are, but it is something to think about as a possible reason..

I have firewalls on 2 of the machines (both Norton IS). The one I use most frequently (Vista) is not firewalled. What does a firewall have to do with the popping noise, since my clients hear it on all 3 computers?

0 Likes
Ealdayen
Enthusiast - Level 2

One thing I am not clear on....when you say they hear a poping sound on your dsl line are you making an analog call or using Skype?  Or did you mean that other people that call them that also use voip and they don't hear popping?

In my experience the only time you hear noise like that on a voip call is through microphone pickup of surroundings be it electromagnetic interference or actual noise.  When we have problems with voip you get a stutter sound effect from the sound dropping off because of lost packets.

0 Likes
CompTutor

@Ealdayen wrote:

One thing I am not clear on....when you say they hear a poping sound on your dsl line are you making an analog call or using Skype?  Or did you mean that other people that call them that also use voip and they don't hear popping?...

I originally said:

"My clients (all) hear a popping sound on all of the 3 computers using my DSL line. I had a client record it and it sounds like popping corn, about 1 pop per second. They do not hear it on other calls through VOIP."

I meant this to indicate that when I either call them or they call me over VOIP/SKYPE (digital), they hear a popping sound. They do NOT hear this sound when they speak over VOIP/Skype to others.

@Ealdayen wrote:

...In my experience the only time you hear noise like that on a voip call is through microphone pickup of surroundings be it electromagnetic interference or actual noise. 

I have 3 computers, in three different rooms, with three different "surroundings", and the only commonality I can find is the Verizon DSL line and Gateway (Router/Modem). 

I have heard the stutter you refer to, and this is not the same.

0 Likes