Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Reply
CompTutor
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-30-2009

Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 1 of 7
(6,509 Views)

I use Skype for business contacts. My clients (all) hear a popping sound on all of the 3 computers using my DSL line. I had a client record it and it sounds like popping corn, about 1 pop per second. They do not hear it on other calls through VOIP.

 

(I tried every support alternative short of the paid service--this company's support really is the worst I have come across in years--and I teach Help Desk personnel!  I hope the community will be able to help resolve this!)  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,066
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 2 of 7
(6,489 Views)

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

 

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

 

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

 

 

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

CompTutor
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 3 of 7
(6,484 Views)

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

 

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

 

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

 

 


 

Modem/Router Combo: Westell A90-750015-07

Firewall: I had Norton, it was removed, and now using NO firewall (depending on hardware router to do it all.)

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,066
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 4 of 7
(6,474 Views)

I will tell what I know...

 

It is nice that the hardware firewall (router) protects you from traffic from the Internet or /Net (or what ever you call it). However with most routers there is no protection from other computers on the same LAN.

 

I point to grc.com's pure CSS menu: Research -> Rececent -> NAT Router Security.

 

Direct link: http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

 

I am not saying that is why you having the issues that you are, but it is something to think about as a possible reason..

 

And I am not saying what software firewall to use, either. It could be the one built into the OS (Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows Vista / The firewall in the Mac OS, ETC....)

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

CompTutor
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 5 of 7
(6,468 Views)

@dslr595148 wrote:

... 

I am not saying that is why you having the issues that you are, but it is something to think about as a possible reason..

 


 

I have firewalls on 2 of the machines (both Norton IS). The one I use most frequently (Vista) is not firewalled. What does a firewall have to do with the popping noise, since my clients hear it on all 3 computers?

Ealdayen
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-10-2009

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 6 of 7
(6,410 Views)

One thing I am not clear on....when you say they hear a poping sound on your dsl line are you making an analog call or using Skype?  Or did you mean that other people that call them that also use voip and they don't hear popping?

 

In my experience the only time you hear noise like that on a voip call is through microphone pickup of surroundings be it electromagnetic interference or actual noise.  When we have problems with voip you get a stutter sound effect from the sound dropping off because of lost packets.

CompTutor
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Popping Sound Audible to Clients Over VOIP

Message 7 of 7
(6,396 Views)

@Ealdayen wrote:

One thing I am not clear on....when you say they hear a poping sound on your dsl line are you making an analog call or using Skype?  Or did you mean that other people that call them that also use voip and they don't hear popping?...


I originally said:

"My clients (all) hear a popping sound on all of the 3 computers using my DSL line. I had a client record it and it sounds like popping corn, about 1 pop per second. They do not hear it on other calls through VOIP."

 

I meant this to indicate that when I either call them or they call me over VOIP/SKYPE (digital), they hear a popping sound. They do NOT hear this sound when they speak over VOIP/Skype to others.


@Ealdayen wrote:

...In my experience the only time you hear noise like that on a voip call is through microphone pickup of surroundings be it electromagnetic interference or actual noise. 


 

I have 3 computers, in three different rooms, with three different "surroundings", and the only commonality I can find is the Verizon DSL line and Gateway (Router/Modem). 

 

I have heard the stutter you refer to, and this is not the same.

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title